Need some help with wireless networking & internet connection

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Milsnips, Apr 29, 2005.

  1. Milsnips

    Milsnips Guest

    Hi there,

    Could someone please help me out and point me in the right direction with
    this:

    I have 2 laptops, both connected wirelessly to each other and can read each
    other no problems (static ip addresses eg. 11.0.0.20 & 11.0.0.21)

    One of the laptop has a ADSL modem connected to it and has an internet
    connection, what im trying to do is to get the other laptop using internet
    through the wireless connection to the first laptop.

    I looked in the advanced settings of the Wireless connection and enabled
    Internet Sharing, but no luck...

    Any help appreciated??

    Thanks,
    Paul

    Milsnips, Apr 29, 2005

  2. Milsnips

    Malke Guest

    First of all, you are using a non-standard IP addressing scheme for your
    lan. Is this required by your modem? Windows Internet Connection
    Sharing (ICS) only supports using IP addresses of 192.168.0.1 for the
    gateway and 192.168.0.xx for client machines. I'll give you links
    explaining how to set up ICS, but your best course of action would be
    to buy a home router (Linksys, Netgear, Belkin, etc.) instead.

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics - ICS
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/clientwiz.htm - XP
    ICS - Client Setup Using the Network Setup Wizard

    Malke

    Malke, Apr 29, 2005