Need Some Advice

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by FrustratedGuy, Sep 3, 2003.

  1. Hello Everyone,

    I need some help/advice/guidance, something, anything!

    Here's my situation. I obtained my MCSD back in January
    of last year. However, my background and degree is in
    marketing. Although I've always preferred the IT side of
    things like creating programs, creating databases etc. I
    kinda of got caught in the trap of chasing the money and
    one promotion lead to another suddenly 10 years later, I
    realized I really didn't like what I was doing.

    Anyways, I would love to get into this field as a
    developer or business analyst, but my work history does
    not document my level of knowledge required for those
    types of positions, although I have my certification and
    know the stuff. I'm very passionate about technology and
    being self taught and self train was able to get my MCSD,
    but I can't seem to get a foot in the door.

    Any suggestions, job leads, number to a good shrink??

    P.S. My desire to change fields have left me without a
    job, because I accepted a pretty decent severance
    package, thinking someone would surely want to hire me
    with my diverse background, wrong! A year later I'm still
    looking for a job.

    FrustratedGuy, Sep 3, 2003

  2. FrustratedGuy

    Kline Sphere Guest

    The job market for junior and entry level positions has always been
    hard to get into within the IT industry; at this moment in time it's
    even harder. Companies have always sought experience professionals who
    can fit into their company with little effort or training.

    The first role is normally the hardest to find. So the most important
    goal for someone like you is to get that first position. Be prepared
    to take an [extremely] low salary and be prepared to relocate. Once
    you have that first role under your belt, job openings will improve
    for you.

    Companies require not only technically able people. but people who
    also have a good business knowledge of that company's business
    area(s). If you apply to a company which you have a good business
    understanding (in your case, marketing), make sure that this is
    highlighted in your curriculum vitae, remember you need to stand out
    and there will be many people more technically experienced than you
    applying, although they may not have your business understand.

    Good luck and don't give up.

    Kline Sphere, Sep 3, 2003

  3. FrustratedGuy

    Guest Guest

    One thing you can do is to increase your experience and
    examples of your technical work. Start programming and
    making things. I am a web developer. If I wanted to do
    something like that I would start making a few websites.
    Does not matter if they are real or not. I would make
    them nice and full of functionalities. This way people
    can see your work and capabilities in action. You had a
    good practice too. If you make functionalities that they
    make sense in business world you even maybe able to reuse
    your code and get paid for it some day. Like: if you make
    an employee management system, a client may find that
    useful and ask you to install it for them. You can make
    applications like that or mortgage calculator or ... you
    get the picture.
    Making examples, working for free for friends or family,
    volunteer work and working for non-profit organizations
    are good places to start.
    I am sure with your experience you can think of useful
    apps to make.
    Good Luck!

    Guest, Sep 4, 2003
  4. Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it. That's sort
    of what I've done. I have taken classes and there was
    course work that required I actually program, create
    ERD's for designing databases etc. I list those things
    as skills on my resume, but since I haven't actually used
    them in a jobsituation, I haven't listed it under my work
    experience.

    Any suggestions on how to document that in a resume?

    Thanks again, for taking the time to help.

    FrustratedGuy, Sep 6, 2003
  5. FrustratedGuy

    Shawn Guest

    You might want to try some coding projects at various
    websites like rentacoder.com or elance. This will give you
    some experience. If this doesn't work, try thinking of
    writing and publishing a small component that solves some
    type of business problem. You could reference this in your
    resume.

    Hope this helps.

    Shawn, Sep 8, 2003
  6. FrustratedGuy

    bi-ker Guest

    This is a catch 22 faced by many people, cannot get a job
    because of no work experience and cannot get work
    experience because of no job.

    Many people who are successful in writing up their CV's
    use shall we say a little bit of puffery to make things
    look better, but in your case since you have not held a
    job for 12 months and have not worked in this Industry
    before, mere puffery is not achievable.

    All is not lost though. Many potential employers realise
    that there is overcapacity in the Industry and are ready
    to exploit the situation by attempting to hire people at
    ridiculous rates. In fact the real market price of IT
    development services has dropped to about 50% of its peak
    March 2001. If you pitch yourself at an entry level job
    and price yourself right you should still be able to pick
    up work.

    Since you obviously have a lot of free time, I suggest
    that you put your marketing skills to use and cold call a
    large number of potential clients directly. In this game
    it is important to get yourself seated before the client,
    you cannot sell the services you have to offer over the
    phone, use the phone to make appointments.

    Target small IT service providers. Often these service
    providers are struggling to make ends meet and just cannot
    afford the big salaries. Also many of these tend to be the
    ones who will appreciate MCSD certification because they
    need to keep a number on board to become Microsoft Gold
    Partners.

    If you get told no and run out of targets, start again at
    the top of the list.

    Now about that CV: twenty years ago my Brother had
    graduated as an engineer and went to London and was in
    exactly the same catch 22 situation. Someone lent him some
    design drawings of a facility in Saudi Arabia he put down
    as his own. It got him his first job. He didn't like doing
    this and has never had to do it again. I think you could
    only get away with this sort of thing with entry level
    jobs and you risk Agencies checking your references and
    writing you off.

    By the way, you may be aware that Agents quite often
    distort the truth about jobs they advertise. For example
    an Agent might advertise a position at attractive rates
    where they want someone who "has been doing .NET in a
    commercial situation since the very first beta". I know
    someone who matched this criterion and applied for such a
    position and the Agent showed no interest. The client was
    somebody who had also been using .NET for that long and
    had the self-opinionated view that he was worth so much
    more as a result. What they were really looking for was
    someone who would start for a lot less. I should point out
    that for an Agent to place misleading advertisements like
    these is a serious offence and the Agent risks a Federal
    Trade Commission investigation. I should also point out
    that not all Agents are crooks, but as in any profession
    there is going to be a lot of this sort of thing going on.

    bi-ker, Sep 9, 2003