Need Some Advice On Study Materials

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Tim Graham, Sep 1, 2005.

  1. Tim Graham

    Tim Graham Guest

    Greetings everyone.

    I am attempting to get my MCSA certification on Windows Server 2003.

    I have been operating desktop computers for over 10 years now. I pretty much
    know all the in's and out's. I can install software, hardware, troubleshoot
    most problems, and build a computer from the ground up (I can't build one
    from the sky down, because gravity interferes).

    But I don't know very much about networks and the software they use. In
    essence, I know most of the advanced stuff about computers, EXCEPT for
    networking.

    I have been searching for some good training material to teach me to pass
    the exams. I plan on taking them in the recommended order, starting with
    70-290.

    My research seems to indicate the the MSPress books may not be the best
    solution for training... my question is, what do you guys think is the best
    training product available for my upcoming exams?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Tim Graham

    Tim Graham, Sep 1, 2005

  2. If you have not taken a MS Cert exam yet, it would be better for you to
    start with the 70-270 (XP Pro) and not 70-290. Why? Because 70-290 is heavy
    on server and network and even 70-270 is not just from the user point of
    view, it is from the Administrator point of view and you'll have network in
    that exam too

    Victor Guillen, Sep 1, 2005

  3. Tim Graham

    Tim Graham Guest

    Thank you guys for the advice.

    I've decided on the following certification path, in this order:

    CompTIA A+
    CompTIA Network+
    MCDST
    MCSA

    I have most of the information I need. However, I am still wondering about
    the actual study materials before the exams. Which books are best?

    I've seen the MSPress books, and they are ok. I am also exploring Sybex
    products... has anyone has experience with these? They seem to offer a study
    guide for almost every exam.

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    Tim Graham, Sep 2, 2005
  4. Take 70-270 and 70-290 and skip the rest. Start with and finish the MCSA as
    passing the rest of these is redundant. The only case where I see them as of
    any use is for vendor warranty support certs and big box retailers. An MCSA
    is qualified enough to not require MCDST. :)

    I'd view as the rest of that low end stuff as redundant if I saw it on your
    resume.

    Leonid S. Knyshov, Sep 3, 2005
  5. Tim Graham

    Tim Graham Guest

    Thanks for the advice.

    I'm taking the CompTIA certs because they will satisfy the elective exam
    required for the MCSA cert, and they will give me two additional certs at the
    same time. I'm taking the MCDST cert for my own educational benefit as well
    as the cert itself.

    Tim Graham, Sep 7, 2005
  6. Well, the more the merrier, but I would instead recommend doing a pure MCSA
    with some SE electives with leftover cash. 70-284 comes to mind as a very
    desirable skill as well as 70-297. I honestly wouldn't care about your lower
    certs such as *+ and MCDST (that's what I certify new techs as) if you
    wanted to work for me.

    The decision is yours. :)

    Leonid S. Knyshov, Sep 8, 2005
  7. Tim Graham

    Paul UK Guest

    Tim,

    I Have MCDST cert and this also stands as an elective for the MCSA, I've
    also passed the MCP 70-270 and it was well worth doing before 70-290, which
    I'm taking in about four weeks.

    Study material for all my exams are:- Sybex Study Guide, Microsoft Press and
    CBT Nuggets, then about a week before I do test questions from where ever I
    can get them.

    feel free to ask any questions, cause I've been there. :)

    Paul UK, Sep 8, 2005