    For my hiking/hunting/fishing activities I'm looking for a compact dig. camera
    that also has a zoom capability. Has to w/stand a certain amount of abuse.
    Any recommendations?

    Vrstull, Nov 5, 2004

  2. For my hiking/hunting/fishing activities I'm looking for a compact dig.
    My first inclination would be to go with an all-weather camera, since the
    same things they'd do to keep water out will probably help protect the
    camera from other types of abuse as well. The Olympus 410, for example, is a
    4-meg waterproof (but *not* immersible!) that's gotten pretty reasonable
    these days, with a standard 3X zoom.

    Something else I'd look into would be battery life, since it's likely you're
    going to be quite a ways from a charger for extended periods of time.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    IMBA, BikesBelong, NBDA member

    Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles, Nov 5, 2004

  3. Vrstull

    Alan Meyer Guest

    Mike has some excellent suggestions. Here's a few more ideas.

    Sliding lens covers may be more rugged than the little leaf type
    covers that just cover the glass part of the lens. As examples,
    the Canon S30/40/50/60/70 and the Olympus Camedia series
    have sliding covers.

    A good camera case might be as important as a rugged camera.
    Maybe buy a padded case, and get it a bit bigger than is needed
    for the camera, then put some foam rubber inside as extra shielding.

    I have a case with a neck strap and a camera with a neck strap. I
    can put both straps over my neck and shoulder (never put them over
    the neck alone because they can swing, or over the shoulder alone
    because they can fall off.) To use the camera, I often leave the case
    open, pull the camera out of the case by its strap, take the shot, and
    put it right back. It's always protected but always handy too.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Nov 5, 2004