Need recommendations for simple webhosting

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by wylbur37, Mar 10, 2006.

  1. wylbur37

    wylbur37 Guest

    A friend of mine has a small and simple website (static pages only)
    using AOL as the host. He also has an email address with them.

    Whenever he needs to update any of his webpages, he uses FrontPage and
    then apparently goes through some sort of AOL application that posts
    the new webpage onto the server.

    Recently he had his computer scanned to get rid of viruses/spyware and
    discovered afterwards that the AOL mechanism (that posts his webpages
    to the server) no longer works. I suspect that the AOL software had
    some sort of spyware wired into it, and the AdAware and/or Spybot S&D
    must have deleted that spyware. Has anyone found this to be true?

    To make a long story short, I was about to recommend that he take his
    website off AOL and find some other webhost elsewhere (especially
    since he gets DSL through his phone company and therefore doesn't need
    AOL for connectivity). I don't know how much he pays AOL, but I doubt
    that it's less than what other competitors would charge for a simple
    website. Any recommendations for simple webhosts?

    Are there websites that compare features and prices for webhosts?

    wylbur37, Mar 10, 2006

  2. Why doesn't he just use his ISP (DLS provider) webspace that they
    probably provide?

    AOL is not software, it is malspynagadware, made in India, then
    translated into Engrish.

    No offence to the Indians or Engrish......

    unluckylanding, Mar 10, 2006

  3. Hi,

    If he just wants "simple" hosting then I suspect that his ISP provides a
    certain amount of web space free of charge (I'm with NTL and get 50MB of
    webspace with my broadband package). If he wants something a little bit
    bigger, faster and with extra features (most notably the ability to run
    server-side scripts and create databases) then he will have to use a
    professional hosting company.

    I use and recommend https://www.terranetwork.net/index.php Their packages
    start from £3 per month.

    Hope that helps

    Andy

    Andrew Bailey, Mar 10, 2006
  4. Wylbur,

    Here is a website http://www.freewebspace.net/ that compares free web
    hosting or if you want paid hosting, it has an area for that also.

    Alt.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=28Ctrl=A4+/Alt+=A4/Del=A4+=29=2, Mar 10, 2006
  5. wylbur37

    Tony Guest

    If its just a small site with not a lot of bandwidth use, www.34sp.com
    charge from £17.50 a year and give PHP and Mysql.

    Tony, Mar 10, 2006
  6. wylbur37

    -Art- Guest

    Freewebs - http://www.freewebs.com

    -Art- (not Art)

    -Art-, Mar 10, 2006
  7. wylbur37

    Donald Guest

    Donald, Mar 10, 2006
  8. wylbur37

    Paul Lautman Guest

    Take a look at www.QiQ.cc. Under £20 a year, excellent suport, PHP, PERL,
    SSH access, unlimited email addresses & MySQL databases, ......

    Paul Lautman, Mar 10, 2006
  9. wylbur37

    Judy Guest

    Judy, Mar 12, 2006
  10. One more recommendation for you

    www.jabwebsolutions.co.uk

    1 gb webspace for £49.50. bargain. and the best thing about them is 24 hour
    assistance which has proved very useful, especially on weekends when you
    have more time

    Give them a try

    www.motherchuffa.com

    Elizabeth Iveson, Mar 14, 2006
  11. wylbur37

    Galen Guest

    In Andrew Bailey had this to say:

    I see people are still posting to this so... Well... Simply the lesser
    expensive hosting companies aren't always going to be there. Read up in the
    various forums and, well, you'll see...

    If there was a price guide here I could help you out a bit more and, really,
    I'm not going to recommend myself or my company so I'm going to suggest - in
    all honesty - that you take a look at some of the free hosting companies.
    How? What? Are you insane? (Those are things you might ask.) No... Netfirms,
    Yahoo, etc? They offer free hosting and no, don't get the free hosting but
    rather get their paid versions. They're up ALL the time basically. Support
    is "OKAY" for the most part. Feature set's fine for most. Etc...

    Galen, Mar 15, 2006
  12. www.netfirms.com is one possibility - it may be more than he needs.
    www.godaddy.com offers a little less for a little less. (Godaddy will send
    lots of sales promos and stuff whenever they can justify it.)

    Carolyn

    Carolyn Marenger, Mar 15, 2006