Need Recommendation on lenses for Canon Digital Rebel

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Joe Martella, Jan 11, 2004.

  1. Joe Martella

    Joe Martella Guest

    I just replaced my Olympus UZ-2100 with a Canon Digital Rebel. I bought the
    kit with the 18-55mm lens, and it is fine enough for standard portrait pics,
    but I need a lens that will get me across a soccer field, which the Olympus
    did pretty well with its 10x optical zoom.

    I have been reading quite a bit about the various lenses available for the
    Canon body and must admit that I am *quite* confused.

    Can someone recommend some specific lenses, by manufacturer and model
    number, that I should consider and roughly what I should expect to pay? In
    general, I want to be able to take shots from the midpoint of a 100 yard
    soccer field and be able to get good quality, close up shots as far as 70
    yards across the field and into the far corner.

    Any help / pointers you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    Joe

    Joe Martella, Jan 11, 2004

  2. Joe Martella

    Phil Philipp Guest

    Phil Philipp, Jan 11, 2004

  3. Get the Canon 75-300mm IS if on a budget,
    or the 70-200mm L IS or the 100-400mm L IS

    Povl H. Pedersen, Jan 11, 2004
  4. Joe Martella

    Joe Martella Guest

    Joe Martella, Jan 11, 2004
  5. Joe Martella

    Digital Puer Guest

    I second the recommendation for that web page. It's the one I
    consulted most often when I was looking for new lenses for
    my 300D I bought last month. Take a look at those lenses and
    cross-check heavily with opinions on www.photographyreview.com.

    Digital Puer, Jan 13, 2004