    not slay the giant, but has him worried! Even 'Big Blue' is joining the
    GNU/Linux bandwagon. <G>

    [ I'll limit any further posts in this thread to the ...pc.homebuilt NG.]

    BobR, Jan 21, 2005

  2. Dan

    Mac Cool Guest

    Al Smith:
    You have three choices: pay for the product, nothing wrong with that; use
    an alternative, nothing wrong with that; or steal a copy of Windows and
    then run around whining about MS. Frank Herbert once wrote something
    similiar to, 'we despise those we have wronged' and I have found it
    generally to be true.

    Mac Cool, Jan 21, 2005

  3. Dan

    Tom Scales Guest

    So, you stole XP? If you haven't paid in six years, and XP hasn't been out
    that long.....

    Tom Scales, Jan 21, 2005
  4. Dan

    Mac Cool Guest

    It's like all systems, rarely are they perfect but until someone invents a
    viable alternative that solves the same problems, then the current system
    will likely continue. MS sells to a wide range of customers, requiring a
    variety of licensing schemes that are fair to BOTH the customer and MS.

    Mac Cool, Jan 21, 2005
  5. Dan

    Mac Cool Guest

    BobR:
    I never had any problems installing it, it's getting it to work after you
    install it.

    Mac Cool, Jan 21, 2005
  6. Dan

    CBFalconer Guest

    ROTFLLMAO at the very idea of MS being wronged. 'Tis a consumation
    devoutly to be wished.

    CBFalconer, Jan 21, 2005
  7. Dan

    jd Guest

    what the hell! what happened to the op? 54 posts of build your own and
    amd vs intel! listen dan, get your dell. it's a fine deal and you can
    probably get it for under fourteen hundred dollars from them. full
    warranty, tech support,6 months free internet, the whole she-bang.
    although that lcd may cost ya, if you wait for the right time(much of
    the time these days)dell throws one in at no extra cost. the size
    depends on the system you choose. for a machine with the above
    mentioned specs, it would be a seventeen inch :)

    jd, Jan 21, 2005
  8. Dan

    kony Guest

    That's a bit presumptuous?
    Plenty of people who pay for windows in one way or another
    aren't particularly happy either.

    kony, Jan 21, 2005
  9. Dan

    IsaacKuo Guest

    install.

    Recent Linux distributions are really easy to install (except for
    the purposefully geeky "hardcore" distributions). LiveCD distributions
    like Knoppix can even be run directly off of the CD. The only button
    you need to push to "install" is the CD drive button (and not even
    that if your optical drive is a slot loader). Windows has never been
    so easy to install!

    If nothing else, Knoppix and other liveCDs make life a LOT nicer
    for a technician working on a Windows PC when the OS gets fubar'd.
    Without even opening up the case, you can pop in a working OS and
    get at data; transfer it over the net; download drivers; whatever...

    For me, Knoppix is worth if for QTParted alone. It's a Partition
    Magic clone. I have long simply lived without a decent partitioning
    utility because I neither wanted to spend the money on Partition
    Magic nor did I want to pirate it.

    I would heartily recommend dual booting Windows/Linux for anyone
    who is currently used to Windows but who also likes to tinker with
    his computer. You literally have nothing to lose, and it's fun to
    play around with. The biggest difference in the Linux experience
    is software installation--it's such a breeze compared to Windows
    and you DON'T have to deal with nagware/crippleware pop-ups or
    restrictions. There are just so many nice little utilities in
    Windows which are nice but not spend-the-$20-shareware-fee nice.
    It takes a little while getting used to the Linux software world
    where virtually all of those nice little utilities are of the
    freeware--just-install-it-and-that's-it-it-just-works-no-strings-attached
    variety. Once you get used to it, though, it's hard to go back to
    Windows.

    Isaac Kuo

    IsaacKuo, Jan 21, 2005
  10. Dan

    Al Smith Guest

    You have three choices: pay for the product, nothing wrong with that; use
    Frank Herbert got the cart before the horse. You're more apt to
    wrong someone you dispise. This doesn't apply to large
    corporations, which wrong people to make greater profits.

    Al Smith, Jan 21, 2005
  11. Dan

    Al Smith Guest

    I wish I had your determination. I took a long look at Mandrake but
    I looked at it this way. Microsoft pissed me off so royally, I
    vowed never to give them another dime. On the other hand,
    Microsoft was forcing me to upgrade by phasing out Windows 98 and
    phasing in Windows XP. I tested out Linux and found it wasn't
    ready for the desktop. What were my choices?

    Al Smith, Jan 21, 2005
  12. Dan

    Mac Cool Guest

    kony:
    I was aiming my comment specifically at Al who justifies stealing because
    he was 'pissed off'. Sure, there were lots of reasons to be pissed off
    back in 95/98 days because those were defective products IMO and quite
    frankly I could care less if people bitch but it starts chapping my ass
    when people just make shit up to bitch about.

    Mac Cool, Jan 21, 2005
  13. Dan

    Tom Scales Guest

    If you can live with stealing, then that's your choice. My suggestion is
    that you talk to your mother and your children and explain to them that
    stealing is OK if you don't like the person or company from whom you are
    stealing. I think that would be a particularly powerful message for you to
    impart on your children.

    Tom Scales, Jan 21, 2005
  14. Dan

    Dave C. Guest

    Odd. The few times I've installed linux, it's been easier to install AND
    use than any version of windows, including windows XP. The only thing
    that's stopping linux from dominating the OS market is Microsoft Office*.
    The "compatible" programs for linux will never be compatible enough,
    unfortunately. Yes, they can open and save files in Microsoft office
    format. The problem is, you don't know UNTIL IT'S TOO LATE if anybody ELSE
    can open those files. -Dave

    *That, and games. But if most businesses switched to linux, you'd see more
    games ported to linux soon enough.

    Dave C., Jan 21, 2005
  15. Dan

    Mac Cool Guest

    Dave C.:
    You're a Linux phenom.

    Mac Cool, Jan 21, 2005
  16. Dan

    BobR Guest

    IsaacKuo wrote in message
    When I first got my Debian CDs, I had to use Parted(command-line) before I
    could do anything. I was so impressed, I will never use ms fdisk if I have a
    choice(parted, cfdisk, etc.)!
    The real mind-blower for me was the fact you can change the kernel to what
    you want.
    I took out things I knew this machine would never need, 'moduled' the things
    I thought I may need in the future, and 'built-in' the things I do need.
    Stock kernel booted in about 40 seconds, my kernel boots in about 10 seconds
    and has never crashed (knock on wood.).

    Then I have another partition on another drive (hdb) with Debian
    Sid(unstable) installed, which runs much more stable than the Woody(release)
    install.
    My lilo-conf is a real mess, but, it all works, {linux, linux-old, linuxSid,
    win98[1]}.
    I go back, and forth. I'm learning/working in C++ with wxWidgets, and want
    to be sure my programs compile/run in Linux and windows.

    Well, enough babble, I think I'll fire up an IDE somewhere and tinker!

    [1] - I successfully installed win95b on this Pentium 4, but it wouldn't
    run, wonder why (duh! <G>). I won't go winXP!!

    BobR, Jan 21, 2005
  17. Dan

    kony Guest

    Even so, you just gave them justification...
    If the prior version is defective, they're entitled to money
    back or a working replacement. User can't steal what they
    paid for right? If they pay for an OS (like XP) that's
    marketed as secure, and the email client can't even open an
    email without risk of infection, unless
    patched/safeguarded/virus-scanned, extra measures, it's not
    secure. XP is defective too, IMO. I don't think anyone
    should steal windows, rather that MS should be forced to
    patch it. They should be fined so severely for every day
    these issues go unaddressed that within a year, if all but
    the obscure problems aren't fixed then they're bankrupt.

    In a way this kinda parallels the whole situation with the
    RIAA, people stealing MP3s. Some may just do it because
    they can, but others aren't willing to pay $15+ for a CD
    with only one or two songs they want. Same people might not
    be willing to pay MS over $100 for defect pathes, USB2, or
    48bit LBA support (and still not get defect resolution??),
    they just want what they paid for already to be supported,
    not in a half-assed fashion but appropriate to the profits
    made, the price of it.

    I don't think WInXP brings enough value-added featues
    (beyond those things that should've be patched in past OS)
    that most people would pay over $100 if they already have a
    prior OS license. Well actually I think it's detrimental to
    add the features to 2K that MS did then call it XP, but I
    digress. Perhaps some had OEM license that is
    non-transferrible, but others didn't. A complex issue with
    so many variables, and it doesn't help that some people may
    feel cheated. It is complex because it is legally stealing,
    by a government that does not hold MS to the standards of
    defect or monopoly seen elsewhere, many people ARE forced to
    choose windows as Linux is not a viable alternative for
    them.

    Then again I can't read minds, some might just do it because
    they can. I'd heard that MS is checking licenses now for
    some of (all but the most critical?) windows updates and
    denying people, so at least those "stealing" windows aren't
    able to continually update it, but that doesn't diminish
    that I still think MS should have to patch their past
    versions of windows for _paying_ customers. They did make
    billion$ off of them, is that too much to expect even if it
    weren't legally necessary (excepting that our goverment
    seems to apply different standards to the software industry,
    and MS in particular, compared to other industries). I
    suppose my advice is to pay for windows but jump ship as
    soon as linux meets one's needs. That is, if one doesn't
    feel Windows is worth paying for.

    kony, Jan 21, 2005
  18. Dan

    Craig Guest

    Linux has patches to
    http://www.ciac.org/ciac/bulletinsByType/vndr_linux_bulletins.html

    Craig

    Craig, Jan 21, 2005
  19. Dan

    Dave C. Guest

    Translation: I can put the disc in the drive. -Dave

    Dave C., Jan 21, 2005
  20. Dan

    Sparky Guest

    Sparky, Jan 22, 2005