    there any way I can add an extra (3rd) drive to my pc to give me extra space
    to store large files etc.,?
    F.

    Freebie, Feb 26, 2006

  2. Freebie

    Tony Guest

    Yes, get an external usb or firewire drive.

    Tony, Feb 26, 2006

  3. Freebie

    Meat Plow Guest

    Buy a PCI IDE controller and another drive provided you have a spare PCI
    slot.

    Or if you have XP and USB 2.0, an external USB drive will do.

    Meat Plow, Feb 26, 2006
  4. Freebie

    Shep© Guest

    What the F**K!!! are you filling them up with?

    Burn to CDR/DVD disks?

    Shep©, Feb 26, 2006
  5. Freebie

    JANA Guest

    Your best solution is to add a third drive in the computer, if you have
    space, and if there are enough drive ports from the mother board. If you
    have an empty slot, you can add a controller for the drive, if there is not
    any more drive ports from the mother board.

    The easiest solution which is effective for mass storage, is to add a USB
    drive, or better still, a firewire drive. When adding another drive, get the
    largest one you can afford. This way you will get a lot of space.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    I have 2 x 80 gig drives in my pc and have no IDE slots left, but I need
    more drive space. The drives I have are relatively new purchases, so is

    JANA, Feb 26, 2006
  6. Freebie

    Senti Guest

    Each IDE port can handle 2 drives. How many IDE ports do you have? Do
    you have any other IDE devices (like CD/DVD-ROMs) attached to them?

    Do you happen to have an open PCI slot? PCI-to-IDE cards are usually
    fairly inexpensive.

    Other than that, try an external drive. Or look for a hot swappable
    hard drive enclosure.

    Lots of ways to get more disk space. :)

    ~SF

    Senti, Feb 26, 2006
  7. As others have suggested, you can easily add an external drive. But if
    you don't want to go that route, buy a 160GB drive from someplace like
    NewEgg for $80 including shipping (200GB available for $87, 250GB for
    $90). Replace one of the 80s with that. Sell the 80, use it in another
    machine, give it to a relative, keep as a spare, or buy a cheap external
    housing for it and use it as a portable drive.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Feb 26, 2006
  8. Freebie

    Plato Guest

    1. Get an PCI controller card to add more drives.
    2. Use an external USB hard drive.

    Plato, Mar 1, 2006