    Guest Guest

    I have the windows xp profesional disc, but have lost the cover with the id
    #. Can anyone help?

    Guest, Mar 13, 2007

  2. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Sorry. You can try calling Microsoft, and if you registered it, not just
    activated it, you have a small chance.

    John Barnes, Mar 13, 2007

  3. The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
    installation) is not on the installation CD in any way, shape, or form.
    It is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker that says
    "Do not lose this number." If it was an OEM (factory installed)
    license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer affixed to
    the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

    To recover a lost Product Key:

    If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc Advisor
    from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the Product Key.
    (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and haven't since
    reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably of the drive
    image used at the factory and not your specific Product Key; therefore,
    it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not be -- used for a
    re-installation.)

    If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

    If it was an OEM license, you should contact the computer's
    manufacturer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of
    the Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy a
    new license.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Mar 13, 2007
  4. Guest

    miso Guest

    Sure. Would you like my ATM PIN as well?

    miso, Mar 13, 2007