    light

    if you're shooting using a macro lenz or any really close up work, you'll
    need a macro flash unit - fits on the end of lenz

    Daryl Bryant, Nov 29, 2006

  2. Barb

    King Sardon Guest

    The problem is not the lens, and the problem is not lighting. The
    problem is the person behind the camera.

    King Sardon, Nov 29, 2006

  3. Barb

    Philippe Guest

    Wow.. that was really helpful.

    You should chip in with these jewels of information more often.

    P.

    Philippe, Nov 30, 2006
  4. Barb

    Roy G Guest

    He is right.

    The OP is not complaining about too small an image or too dark an image, he
    is complaining about a Fuzzy image.

    It is not Camera Shake cos it still exists when using a tripod.

    The OP did not say that only a part of the image is sharp, and the rest is
    Fuzzy, he seemed to imply that it is all Fuzzy.

    All this means that the image is not focussed, because the camera is closer
    than the closest focussing distance.

    He should be using either a Macro lens ( Overkill for his needs) or a
    supplementary close up lens.

    He does not know the basics, and all the crap he is being fed about Ring
    Flashes and Macro lenses, is not explaining the fact that he needs to ensure
    his subject is in focus.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Dec 1, 2006
  5. Barb

    Paul J Gans Guest

    I've not read to the end of the thread so it is possible
    that someone else has already made these suggestions.

    First, I also have a Canon 300D and the kit lens. Second,
    most seem to have missed your statement that you have
    successfully taken pictures with a film camera.

    That tells me that you know about framing, etc., and that's
    not the problem.

    My *guess* is that you use 400 speed film. The Canon is normally
    set to use 100 speed. That means that you will probably be
    two shutter speeds too slow. Thus if your film camera takes
    a picture at 1/50 of a second, you will be using about 1/12
    of a second, way too slow for hand held.

    The cure for this is simple. The 300D can be set to any
    of the following "film" speeds: 100, 200, 400, 800, and 1600.
    The higher the speed, the more grain you will get in the
    photo. I'd set the film speed to 400. There is very little
    grain there.

    To do this it is best to read the manual. It isn't hard. The
    trick is that you must NOT be in one of the preset modes but
    in one of the "creative" zones instead. I'd use the "P" but
    I have other suggestions below.

    In "P" you can set the "film" speed. Now try to take a picture.

    Another point: the Canon will give far more pixels than you
    need. So because you have trouble aiming the camera, I'd
    not try to fill the frame with the item being photographed,
    but instead I'd crop the resulting picture. You probably do
    this already from the digitized film pics.

    Try to avoid using the flash as it may well wash out the
    colors. Did you use in with film? If so, use the camera
    in the same way.

    You can set the kit lens to be the same as your camera lens
    but remember that the "film" in the digital camera is smaller
    than in a film camera. The proper factor for this camera is
    1.6. So if you used a 50mm lens with your film camera you want
    to use 50/1.6 = 30mm (approximately) on your 300D. If you used
    80mm with film, use 50mm on the 300D, and so on.

    So with the digital "film" speed set to what you were using
    and with the lens set to what you were using, everything else
    should be the same. The camera will autofocus and choose the
    other settings for you.

    If you are not getting enough depth of field you can move the
    roller knob on top of the camera when in "P" mode. This will
    cycle through all the shutter speed/lens openings suitable for
    the available light. This will NOT work for flash. That's another
    problem.

    I've done some close up work and if there was not enough light
    I simply brought over a desk lamp and used that in addition to
    the light from a bright window.

    You can read up on what the other settings on the camera do.
    I'm talking about the Av and Tv settings. These will allow
    you to set the lens opening (and it picks the shutter speed)
    or lets you set the shutter speed and lets you pick the lens
    opening.

    I do NOT think you need a special lens or special lighting
    or anything like that. Do what you did with your film
    camera.

    ----- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Dec 1, 2006
  6. Barb

    Arnor Guest

    Hi Barb,
    Could you post links to maybe one or two of the images that you have
    problems with? Having an image to look at makes it much easier to make
    suggestions:)

    Best regards,

    Arnor Baldvinsson
    San Antonio, Texas