Need hints on fixing an Canon S110 E18 error

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Andrew C, Jul 26, 2004.

  1. Andrew C

    Andrew C Guest

    Hi,

    My Canon S110 just started malfunctioning today and wouldn't zoom
    in/out and made nasty clattering/clacking noises when extended or
    retracting the lens on power on/off. Then, I hit the dreaded E18
    error.

    Now the lens is stuck partly extended w/the power off and when I try
    to turn it on, I hear a rapid nasty clacking (gear slipping) sound.

    I've followed the E18 error "repair" instructions and am stuck on
    http://www.ixus-world.de/tips/repair_guide/e18_05en.htm. At the point
    where I'm stuck, the instructions say "Move out the lens a bit by
    manually pushing the gear rim. Then open it. Take care of the ribbon
    cable." I unfortunately seem unable to push the gear so I can't get
    any further. :( Pushing and pulling the lens barrel doesn't work
    either (they're stuck). The whole mechanism seems stuck which is
    likely the reason the for the clattering and lack of lens movement.

    Any hints or ideas at what I should do? The camera is obviously way
    out of warranty and from the posts I've seen, it's not worth it to
    send it to Canon for $120+ to just look at it.

    Andrew C, Jul 26, 2004