    with windows 98 or a DSL connection so any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Greg

    greg, Aug 26, 2004

  2. greg

    old man Guest

    modem -> reuter -> pc's
    That way connection is independent of any pc.
    If its a half decent reuter it will have an autosetup facility/cd/web setup,
    though I havent used such on win98.

    old man, Aug 26, 2004

  3. greg

    Duane Arnold Guest

    I have only used a BB setup using a router or FW appliance. But I would
    think that anything concerning the modem should be happening through the
    router and no computer should be connected to the modem. All computers
    should be connected to the LAN ports of the router and the WAN port
    should be connected to the modem. Yes, the router will be the DHCP server
    and all machine connected to it will obtain a DHCP IP from the router.
    The router is the gateway device for all machines connected to it and the
    router provides the ICS for the computers connected to it to share
    resources between machines and allows them to access the Internet as
    well. The router can control 255 computers by connecting standalone hubs
    or switches into the LAN ports and daisy chaining hubs and switches
    together.

    You can checkout other networking topics by going to the link above.

    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

    The link provides the how-to for all flavors of the MS O/S(s) and making
    them network with each other in the LAN solution provided by the router
    being the gateway device.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 26, 2004
  4. greg

    greg Guest

    Thank you for the suggestions and the link. Gives me a couple of things to
    try today

    thanks

    Greg

    greg, Aug 26, 2004