Need help with networking hardware

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Othis Redthing, Mar 22, 2005.

  1. I just looked in the Linksys website as I am thinking about networking two
    PCs in our house, so I need a router and liked the look of the Linksys
    equipment. But, it seems every router on their site, especially the wireless
    models says "Not suitable for Cable/Broadband". So which Linksys model
    should I go for? Naturally I want one which offers as much security as
    possible, like NAT etc., but my knowledge of newtorking is severely limited
    as I am brand new to all of this. Basically, I need to know exactly what
    equipment I need to buy in order to get broadband connected and get my 2 PCs
    up and running in safety. I'd like to buy all Linksys hardware. As I see it,
    I need two NICs, a router, and a modem....'is this correct? I kow that
    Blueyonder let you 'hire' their modem, but I'd prefer to buy my own...'which
    one should I buy?! I have read some details on various sites but I am not
    taking much in to be honest, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    (Is the Linksys hardware as good as it looks?)

    If I bought this Linksys hardware from EBuyer (below), would I be able to
    connect my two PCs to blueyonder broadband? i.e. Two Linksys Wireless 54mbps
    PCI Adapter Cards and a Router.....

    (Do these two PCI Adaptor cards do the same as two NICs?)

    What would be a good modem to go with this harware? (Linksys modem only).

    Would I need anything else to get me online?

    Othis Redthing, Mar 22, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. The broadband model.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Mar 22, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. Steer clear of both eBuyer and Linksys - both have caused me nothing but
    grief. I recommend Chillblast and Netgear. OK, so Chillblast ain't the
    cheapest, but I know of no other company who will come out after hours and
    sort something out of warranty.
    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Mar 22, 2005
  4. Othis Redthing

    Duane Arnold Guest

    You should buy a modem that's on the ISP's approved list of modems.

    I don't know if the 54g does logging. You should get a router that does
    logging that a log viewer can be used to watch inbound and outbound traffic
    to and from the router.

    Whatever cards you get, they should be from the same manufacture of the
    router so there will be no finger pointing if problems arise with making

    You may want to get a UPS/AVR and plug everything into it as the equipment
    likes good clean power. The router doesn't line spikes on the line from
    household appliances switching on and off all the time. The router will go
    defective if it happens on a routine basis and it's not protected. And I am
    not talking about some power strip plugged into a wall outlet.

    Also, most users leave the wireless configuration in the equipment's out of
    the box default state leaving the wireless network wide open to attack.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Mar 23, 2005
  5. Othis Redthing

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Duane Arnold , wrote in message
    Duane Arnold, Apr 28, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.