Need Help With Internet Timeout

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sidney Friedman, Dec 18, 2004.

1. I hope someone can help me with the following problem. I am using a Dell Dimension 8300 computer with XP Pro O.S. I also have a SBC/Yahoo DSL connection with up to 1536 Kbps downstream and up to 384 Kbps Upstream. I have 512 MB memory and a 80 Gig HD with about 50 Gig empty. My DSL modem is a Slipstream 5100 modem. I am using the following security related programs: Ad-Aware SE Personal; Spybot-Search and Destroy; Spyware Blaster; SBC Yahoo Anti spy; and Spyware X-Terminator. I am using all of these since I found that no single one will catch all spyware/adware. I usually use Internet Explorer 6.0 for my browser.

My problem is that several times during the day I can no longer connect to the Internet even though my DSL modem diagnostics says I am still connectected. Sometimes when this happens I can connect thru Opera or Firefox but mostly not. When I "Restart" my computer everything works fine again. I run my security software everyday so I don't think I have a "bug". However, I am open to any advice to correct this problem.
    Any assistance will be appreciated.

Sidney Friedman

Sidney Friedman, Dec 18, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. Sidney Friedman

Pennywise Guest

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:54:59 GMT, "Sidney Friedman"

|> My problem is that several times during the day I can no longer connect to the Internet even though my DSL modem diagnostics says I am still connectected. Sometimes when this happens I can connect thru Opera or Firefox but mostly not. When I "Restart" my computer everything works fine again. I run my security software everyday so I don't think I have a "bug". However, I am open to any advice to correct this problem.
    |> Any assistance will be appreciated.

If your wireless, it's a known problem,
    if your not wireless never mind...

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101299.asp

--

Pennywise, Dec 18, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. Not wireless. Thanks anyways.

to the Internet even though my DSL modem diagnostics says I am still
    connectected. Sometimes when this happens I can connect thru Opera or
    Firefox but mostly not. When I "Restart" my computer everything works fine
    again. I run my security software everyday so I don't think I have a "bug".
    However, I am open to any advice to correct this problem.

4. P.S. I have not downloaded SP2 due to the many problems reported. However,
    due to my firewall and security programs I don't think I need SP2.

1. Advertisements

Ask a Question