need help, wireless to wireless pc bridge?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by captain knobs, Jun 26, 2008.

  1. Hi Gang, i have a problem and ther is SO much information out there
    about networking that i cannot apparently find the right keywords to
    search on what i want to do. I have a high gain directional antenna
    that is accessing a free hotspot about 1/2 mile away. My phone
    provider will not hook us up to DSL or anything faster than 56k
    (connecting at 28k-yuck ) so again there is a free hotspot about 1/2
    mile away. Basically i live in the sticks.. I am connected to that
    hotspot via my usb transciever +directional antenna and its connected
    to the desktop. It works great and now I have a newer laptop that i
    would also like to share this internet connection but am totally
    unaware of how to do it. I have another USB wifi dongle that i could
    connect to the desktop for in house lan, or i can connect the 2 via
    ethernet. Which ever is easier is the route i want to go but need
    steering into the right direction so that both may use the internet.

    thanks --eric

    Do not rely to my email address listed, its a fake for spammers.
    captain knobs, Jun 26, 2008
    1. Advertisements

  2. The first thing I would try it to see if there is a way to connect the HG
    Antenna to a wireless "router",...or if there are similar HG Antennas that
    can be purchased as assessories for the "router".

    There are also Satelite based Internet connection servicesvia Direct TV,
    Dish Network, and a few others and they would run at about "low end"
    broadband speeds above 256k but below 1mbps.

    If that isn't possible then add the other Wireless nic to the Laptop and
    configure an Ad hoc network between this laptop and the other using this
    second Nic. Then you would enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the
    wireless adapter with the HG Antenna. Sounds like a "hack" to me and I
    doubt it would be dependable, but as far as I know that would be the

    Phillip Windell

    The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,
    or anyone else associated with me, including my cats.
    Phillip Windell, Jun 26, 2008
    1. Advertisements

  3. Hi
    In order to share the connection you need a Wireless Router.
    To be able to feed the Router WAN (Internet port) from your remote Wireless
    source you need to plug a Wireless Card that does not need Drivers (Game Box
    type of Wireless Card).
    Get a card that can be fitted with your current High Gain Antenna configure
    it to feed a Wireless Router. Plug or use the Wireless for you computers.
    Example for a card,
    (I do not know about the Antenna fit check it, otherwise all major vendor
    offers Wireless like this).
    This page describes in principle Wireless Bridging,
    Jack (MVP-Networking).
    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 27, 2008
  4. Thanks for the suggestions but here is another part to my delima. THe
    usb transciever is a ALFA high output. I have it mounted at the
    directional antenna on the roof and then am using a usb active cable
    to extend my usb connection into my house. i really don t want to
    change my usb device. are there not any solutions for having the
    desktop connected to the wifi and pass the net connection thru the
    ethernet or pass it to another local wifi dongle to rebroadcast inside
    the home?

    Thanks again for your time -eric
    captain knobs, Jun 27, 2008
  5. captain knobs


    Jan 26, 2008
    Likes Received:
    Central Florida
    As a previous poster listed, you should be able to enable ad-hoc wireless networking on your desktop and laptop, then use Connection Sharing in Windows to enable pass through routing from your desktop to the remote ad-hoc devices.

    Also, you may consider re-engineering your infrastructure by attaching a Linksys Range Expander or wireless repeater. In this case, put the Range Expander on a tall antenna mount and provide power to the unit. The repeater will then relay the single to wireless computers in your home -- and in your neighbor's homes. Cost is around $100.

    Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
    MarkSatterfield, Jun 27, 2008
  6. captain knobs

    Lem Guest

    If I can restate your question slightly:

    - You have the Internet connection on a USB cable and do not want to
    change this.
    - The USB cable currently is connected to a desktop.
    - You'd like a laptop to be able to share the Internet connection.

    With a USB source, your only option is to use Windows Internet
    Connection Sharing (unless you find a wireless router with a USB WAN
    input, but I don't think such devices exist). It's not as flexible as
    using a router, but if you insist on retaining the USB connection to the
    antenna, that's what you have. Essentially, you will be using the
    desktop as a router, and thus the laptop will only be able to access the
    Internet while the desktop is powered up and active.

    Usually, ICS is used for a wired local network, using a second Ethernet
    NIC (or, in your case, a first NIC because your Internet connection is
    USB). If you *really* want wireless to the laptop, you can either add a
    wireless NIC to your desktop and create an ad hoc wireless link, as
    Phillip Windell suggested or you can connect the desktop's wired NIC to
    a wireless access point. For the latter, see Jack's site for how to
    configure a wireless router as a wireless access point:

    For general ICS information, see

    Lem -- MS-MVP

    To the moon and back with 2K words of RAM and 36K words of ROM.
    Lem, Jun 27, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.