Need help setting up a wireless network btwn 2 computers via router PLEASE

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Steve B., May 16, 2006.

  1. Steve B.

    Steve B. Guest

    Hi all,

    I have two desktop computers running Windows XP. One is hard wired to
    a NetGear Wireless router for my cable modem and the other is
    wirelessly connected to the router via a Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter.
    They both have internet access, so I know that the router and
    connection are operating properly.

    I have been trying to set up a wireless network between the two
    computers and so far I have been unsuccessful. My goal is to be able
    to access information wirelessly on each computer from the other. I
    also want to be able to run programs that may not be installed one
    computer from the computer that is installed on. For example the
    computer upstairs has my iTunes music directory and I would like to be
    able to play the music on my downstairs computer without having to
    transfer the music library. Finally, I also want to be able to print
    through the downstaris computer that has the printer directly plugged
    into it.

    Can anyone be kind enough to provided me with step by step
    instructions on how to get this setup. I am not very saavy with
    networks and really would appreciate one of you computer gurus
    providing your expertise.
    Thanks in advance!!!

    Regards,

    Steve B.

    Steve B., May 16, 2006

  2. Steve B.

    Kevin Guest

    Have you run the Network Setup Wizard on each machine? Then, in Control
    Panel>Printer & Faxes>enabled sharing of the printer in question and then on
    the remote machine, added that printer?

    Kevin, May 16, 2006

  3. Steve B.

    Guest Guest

    Guest, May 18, 2006
  4. Steve B.

    Guest Guest

    I have had similar problems trying to successfully network a downstairs
    laptop with an upstairs desktop (with attached printer) using a Netgear
    wireless router. One problem was the Norton installed downstairs prohibited
    all communication - this was solved by adding the IP addresses of the
    upstairs computer and the router to the Trusted Networks screen. Getting
    access to the printer was solved by going through the Add new Printer routine
    in which there is a screen that asks u if the printer is attached locally or
    remotely (or words to that effect). All is now working OK. Hope this helps.

    Guest, May 18, 2006