    very well and take pictures in low light conditions. Any suggestions
    on the camera that would suit this or features that the camera should
    include are appreciated.

    mcease, Jan 12, 2004

  2. mcease

    AArDvarK Guest

    AArDvarK, Jan 12, 2004

  3. mcease

    AArDvarK Guest

    .... for a great camera look at the canon G5 on this site,
    at the bottom of the page you'll see price comparisons.
    There is one for less than $500.00.
    http://www.dpreview.com/

    AArDvarK, Jan 12, 2004
  4. mcease

    Michael Guest

    Hi,
    There are many choices. The Canon PowerShot S400 is a compact,
    take-anywhere, 4MP digital camera with a useful 3x zoom range and a lot of
    functions to play around with. At USD $390 It may however be a bit out of
    your price range. A very nice camera though - my first choice for the type
    of photography you describe.

    The Pentax Optio S4 is an even smaller camera with similar specs to the
    Canon PowerShot S400. It can be had for about USD 300. Also a camera with
    good optical and mechanical quality that you will not grow tired of anytime
    soon.

    If you wish to go further down in price you probably have to compromise a
    bit. There are some small Minoltas out there at a reasonable price (DImage
    Xt - 3MP, 3x zoom - expect prices around USD 230). The ultra compact
    Minoltas use a special design where the lens is fully enclosed horizontally
    in the camera body. It's a neat idea but image quality suffers - it may not
    be anything you'll ever notice, however.

    You may also want to take a look at some of the recent Kodak EasyShare
    cameras. All the digital Kodaks generally deliver pleasing images but they
    are not as pocketable. The Kodak DX6440 is a new 4MP, 4x zoom camera with
    everything you need - it costs about USD 330.

    If you want more choices take a look at www.dpreview.com - it has extensive
    reviews on most of these cameras and also explain a lot of the terminology
    and what to look for in digital cameras. Make sure you check the forums, you
    can find lots of help there if you have specific questions.

    One piece of advise I will give you is to stay away from cameras sold in
    supermarkets. These cameras are cheap and seem to have good specs at first
    glance, but one thing is absolutely clear in this business, and that is you
    get what you pay for.

    You will likely own your camera for several years, so don't worry if you end
    up spending USD 50 more than you planned to. You will be glad you did.

    /Michael

    Michael, Jan 12, 2004
  5. mcease

    SD Guest

    Start with a Toshiba PDR M-700 (300$ US + memory + barrteries and
    charger) and compare similar cameras, Fuji s5000, Minolta Dimage z1 (all
    similar priced). All with 10X zoom and tons of features..

    SD, Jan 13, 2004