Need Help...I may not know what I am doing.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by MegaBuck$, Jan 23, 2005.

  1. MegaBuck$

    MegaBuck$ Guest

    I am not sure if this is the right group for inquiries like this one but it
    seemed like a good spot to start.

    I got a phone call from my mother-in-law saying that when she hits the power
    switch on her e-machine nothing happens. She gets no lights or noises that
    are normally expected during power-up. She asks me to come over to try to
    fix it if I can.

    When I get there I of course check to make sure that everything is plugged
    in her power strip is turned on. everything looked normal. She has had
    this machine for several years and has not had really any serious problems
    with it until now.

    I thought that she may have a bad power supply. I wasn't sure if power
    supplies routinely go bad or not but I tested the one that was in the box
    with a multimeter and did not get any readings from any of the peripheral
    connectors.

    I then went down to the local electronics store (Fry's) and purchased a new
    power supply with the same specs as the original and returned to install it
    for her.

    Now here is the issue that I am trying to deal with. I installed the unit
    in her machine and plugged in all the harnesses where they should be.
    However, when I plugged the main power cord, both the fans (CPU fan as well
    as the one inside the power supply) started turning slowly and I still
    cannot get the machine to power up.

    I am fairly confident that her original PS is bad because I brought it home
    and tried to install that one in my computer and it did not work. The one
    that I purchased is good because it is powering my PC even as I type this.

    What I am wondering is, did I miss something? Could there be a problem with
    either the MB or with the power switch?

    Please help me out. Reply to the group(s) or you can email me directly.
    Thanks in advance.

    Gerry Morgan

    MegaBuck$, Jan 23, 2005

  2. MegaBuck$

    RBM Guest

    I would disconnect the switches to the front of the machine and see if it
    still turns on the fans, if so I think you have a bad motherboard

    RBM, Jan 24, 2005

  3. MegaBuck$

    bmoag Guest

    Reinstall the power supply and make sure that all connections are secure and
    that cpu, memory and add-in cards are properly seated.
    If the computer will not post, if you do not hear a beep and see the BIOS
    data on the monitor then it is indeed likely the motherboard was damaged by
    whatever event killed the power supply. If you hear the hard drives spinning
    up they are probably ok.
    Unfortunately the cpu, memory chips and add-in cards could also have been
    damaged.
    The power supply may have died a natural death and took the motherboard with
    it. However unless you have a surge suppressor of at least intermediate
    quality power surges can do this also: I lost two computers several years
    ago before I learned that lesson the hard way.

    bmoag, Jan 24, 2005
  4. MegaBuck$

    Trent© Guest

    Switch the power cord from the monitor to the PSU...then plug the cord
    directly into the wall outlet...by-passing the power strip. Does the
    power strip have a built-in surge protector?
    Many folks install a new PSU...but don't use the NEW power cord. The
    cord could have a burned wire in it.
    Yes...to either...or both. That would be the next test.

    Good luck...let us know.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Jan 25, 2005
  5.
    Gloria Goitre, Jan 26, 2005
  6.
    Gloria Goitre, Jan 26, 2005
  7.
    Gloria Goitre, Jan 26, 2005
  8. MegaBuck$

    Gort Guest

    Gloria Goitre, ignoring the facts, forged on to say...

    Gort, Jan 27, 2005
  9. MegaBuck$

    Gort, Jan 27, 2005
  10. MegaBuck$

    Gort Guest

    Yep. I've put on 12 pounds, and I don't mean Sterling.

    Gort, Jan 27, 2005
  11.
    Gloria Goitre, Jan 27, 2005
  12.
    Gloria Goitre, Jan 27, 2005
  13.
    Gloria Goitre, Jan 27, 2005
  14.
    Gloria Goitre, Jan 27, 2005
  15.
    Gloria Goitre, Jan 27, 2005
  16.
    Gloria Goitre, Jan 27, 2005
  17.
    Gloria Goitre, Jan 27, 2005
  18. MegaBuck$

    Gort Guest

    Gloria, you need to smack your head with a 12 X 12. You're in a loop.
    If you can't figure out how to do that there's probably many people on
    here (TINH) that would be happy to assist.

    Gort, Jan 27, 2005
  19.
    Gloria Goitre, Jan 27, 2005
  20. MegaBuck$

    Danny Bouy Guest

    Have Usenet posters always forced you to display a violent tendency when
    words get the better of you? Just curious. You don't have to answer.

    Danny Bouy, Jan 28, 2005