Need help clarifying SMI vs EMI on Catalyst 4507R and 3750G and comments on my config

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Ned, May 18, 2005.

  1. Ned

    Ned Guest

    Hello
    I have private fiber runs from 5 buildings terminating in 5 multimode
    gig handoffs in our main building. We have 1500 workstations, half of
    them located in the main building and we plan to do VOIP and wireless
    using airnoet 1200's. I also plan to use a ghost multicasting server
    for imaging workstations and SMS 2003.

    Is there any need for the Enhanced image on the Catalyst 4507R & 3750G?
    What are the advantages of enhanced?
    The 4507R will be located in the MDF of the main building with a 3750G
    in each MDF of the other 5 buildings. We are planning to place 3com
    switches connected via MM fiber in all our IDF's. We plan to use VLANS.
    Any opinions on this configuration? Any recommendations?

    Thanks in advance

    Here is the current config
    MAIN BUILDING
    WS-C4507R CATALYST 4500 CHASSI
    PWR-C45-1400AC 1400W AC POWER SUPPLY
    PWR-C45-1400AC/2 C4500 1400W PWR SUPPLY
    WS-X4515 CAT 4000 SUPIV 2 GE
    WS-X4515/2 CAT 4507R RED SUPIV
    S4KL3K9-12225EWA IOS BASIC L3 CAT4500
    MEM-C4K-FLD64M CAT 4500 IOS-BASED S
    WS-X4506-GB-T C4500 6PORT 10/100/1000
    WS-X4548-GB-RJ45V MOD POE 802.3AF 10/100/1000
    GLC-SX-MM= GE SFP LC CONN SX TR

    OTHER BUILDINGS (5)
    WS-C3750G-12S-E CAT3750 12 SFP ENHD
    CAB-STACK-50CM CISCO STACKWISE 50CM
    GLC-SX-MM= GE SFP LC CONN SX TR

    Ned, May 18, 2005

  2. Ned

    thrill5 Guest

    If you want to run a routing protocol other than RIP you need the EMI image.
    EMI supports EIGRP and OSPF and I think it also supports BGP.

    Scott

    thrill5, May 23, 2005

  3. Ned

    Ned Guest

    Thanks for your reply.
    routing protocols that come with the Enhanced IOS. I have 7 remote
    sites connected to our main site over Gig-E with dedicated fiber for
    each site (HUB & SPOKE?).
    I used this link to Cisco to read up on OSPF & RIP. Please let me know
    if I am missing anything here.
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/104/2.html#1.1

    Thanks

    Ned, May 25, 2005