    This newsgroup needs a moderator so we don't have to put up with the
    morons who post pornography.
    Jack

    Jack, Feb 13, 2004

  2. Jack

    Millybags Guest

    I'm leaving this NG - I don't need the language.
    Steve

    Millybags, Feb 13, 2004

  3. Jack

    Rick Guest

    Don't fret, the problem is being worked on. While anonymous
    remailers make tracing a bit more difficult, there is no such thing
    as an anonymous post on Usenet. Fortunately this current idiot
    doesn't know when to stop.

    Rick, Feb 13, 2004
  4. Jack

    Andrew Guest

    Those of you who use newsservers that don't honor cancel messages
    are seeing a lot of crap that other people aren't.

    Andrew

    Andrew, Feb 13, 2004
  5. Jack

    gr Guest

    Right Jack, and I assume you're volunteering?

    Yeah... didn't think so. But thanks for your contribution... not.

    gr, Feb 13, 2004
  6. Jack

    Rick Guest

    One word: hipcrime

    I'd much rather put up with the occasional whacko than deal
    with cancel/supersede attacks. The former is simply a nuisance,
    the latter destroys newsgroups.

    Rick, Feb 13, 2004
  7. Jack

    mhlife Guest

    mhlife, Feb 13, 2004
  8. Jack

    Burrito Guest

    There's little doubt that it's only a disturbed 13 year old that's
    doing the posting. They will catch up with him and cancel his
    father's ISP account, all in good time...

    Burrito, Feb 13, 2004
  9. Jack

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    ....more likely a grownup or even an old fart with the brain of a
    5 year old.

    Paolo Pizzi, Feb 13, 2004
  10. Jack

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Feb 13, 2004
  11. Jack

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Originally yes, but now there is more than one troll.
    All the idiots who want to insult me have discovered
    a way to do it anonymously and they're emulating the
    original imbecile. Too bad they're too stupid to know
    that it's not REALLY anonymous posting and they are
    being tracked.

    Paolo Pizzi, Feb 13, 2004
  12. } This newsgroup needs a moderator so we don't have to put up with the
    } morons who post pornography.

    It is not possible to retroactively moderate an existing newsgroup
    (well, it can be done in theory, but it is almost never done in
    practice).

    A new moderated group could be started. But it is a LOT of work to set
    up and run.

    peace,

    -*-
    charles

    Charles M. Kozierok, Feb 13, 2004
  13. Jack

    Rupert Guest

    The forums at www.dpreview.com are much, much better.

    Rupert, Feb 14, 2004
  14. Jack

    end user too Guest

    It took me one minute to block those senders and those dumb enough to reply.

    end user too, Feb 14, 2004
  15. Jack

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Yep, you don't see the people who don't really care
    about photography and only contribute ad hominem
    attacks.

    Paolo Pizzi, Feb 14, 2004
  16. A moderator is unnecessary. Moderated groups invariably suck.

    Simply set up some message rules that delete messages with specific words in
    the subject. It's very simple. I see none of what you are referring to
    unless I look at Usenet via Google Groups (Dejanews). I have my newsreader
    set up to automatically delete messages with the obscenities in the subject,
    including all the mis-spellings that these bozos can think up. Note that
    simply kill-filing by poster e-mail address is relatively ineffective,
    you've got to filter by subject words.

    There are always going to be people like "anonymous" in the world, and until
    they are imprisoned, they will have internet access, and will delight in any
    attention that they get. After they are taken out of circulation, someone
    else will take their place; it's not illegal what they're doing, though it
    violates the terms of most ISPs. That's why they use the remailers.

    Steven M. Scharf, Feb 14, 2004
  17. Jack

    gr Guest

    Frankly, I doubt that. If they're using anonymous remailers, it's pretty
    much impossible to track them without several search warrants. I very much
    doubt cops in several countries could care less if someone is flaming you.
    Besides, many remailers don't keep stats for the very purpose of not being
    traceable. Yes, it's possible to track them, but the probability it is
    being done is very low. And what would be the punishment if they were
    caught... they'd lose their account and get another one at a different
    ISP... big deal.

    gr, Feb 14, 2004
  18. Jack

    Wdflannery Guest

    It is not possible to retroactively moderate an existing newsgroup
    Retroactive moderation .... Can it be done? Has it been done? Is it being
    done?

    If it's do-able it seems like the obvious solution to me.

    Wdflannery, Feb 14, 2004
  19. Jack

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Being exposed to public shame.

    I have already demostrated how the language of the
    troll is extraordinary similar to that of George Kerby
    (which, BTW, is the only "regular" never attacked
    by the troll) but if I could prove with 100% certainty
    it's him, I'm sure he would disappear. Yeah, he could
    pick up another alias, but we'd still know it's him...
    (Actually I have very few doubts, too many coincidences,
    including the time of the postings.)

    Paolo Pizzi, Feb 14, 2004
  20. Jack

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Too bad Tevion's "style" is absolutely nothing like mine, so
    if your second assumption is correct, it's proof that I'm not
    Tevion. Got it?

    Seen any black helicopters lately Kerby? ;-)

    BTW, don't assume anyone likes to hide behind aliases and
    anonymous servers like you do. You're only making a bigger
    fool of yourself.

    Paolo Pizzi, Feb 14, 2004