    on WinXP using NTFS.

    I have lost a file which does not appear in the recycle bin. I am
    hoping I can recover it from the hard drive using an undelete tool.

    Grice Webster, May 1, 2004

  2. Grice Webster

    Leythos Guest

    The best product I've used in many years has been RecoverMyFiles from
    http://www.recovermyfiles.com/

    My only complaint was the length of time it took to process the order
    and get the key to unlock the files. This was about 8 months ago, it may
    be better now.

    There are a couple things to remember in your case:

    Stop using the computer
    Don't install ANYTHING on the same drive as the deleted file(s)

    If you have another machine, install the drive with the deleted file in
    that machine, install the recover software on the machine (not on the
    drive with the deleted file), and recover the file. Return the drive to
    the computer it was in, copy the file back to it (if you didn't do an
    in-place recovery.

    I deleted a mirrored drive set, was completely unable to salvage it
    through normal means - it contained more than 20,000 digital camera
    pictures that I had not backed up (stupid on my part). Using RMF I was
    able to recover every file at the sector level, even without a drive
    letter, the only drawback was that all the files are named
    "recoveredfile0001.jpg" the number increments and the extension changes
    to the proper extension. It recovered every file without missing one.
    Since the drives were fully defragmented and ordered by folder, it was
    easy to regroup them in to their prior folder structure once they were
    recovered.

    Leythos, May 1, 2004

  3. Grice Webster

    Bob Adkins Guest

    I like "File Recovery" at http://12.129.206.113/~dr275usc/PCIFR3.exe

    It works great, but be warned that ANY disk activity to install, use, or
    even run programs on the same HDD can overwrite the data and cause it be
    totally lost. Try to be as still as possible until you recover the files!

    Bob

    Remove "kins" from address to reply.

    Bob Adkins, May 1, 2004
  4. Grice Webster

    CoMa Guest

    Newsreader:

    Handy Recovery
    http://www.handyrecovery.com/

    Handy Recovery is an easy to use program designed to
    restore files accidentally deleted from a hard disk
    or a diskette. File Systems: FAT 12/16/32 NTFS/NTFS 5

    PC INSPECTOR File Recovery
    http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm

    PC INSPECTOR File Recovery is a data recovery program
    that supports the FAT 12/16/32 and NTFS file systems.

    /CoMa

    --
    Conny (CoMa) Magnusson

    http://www.algonet.se/~hubbabub/
    ICQ : 1351964
    I am the smell that makes sardines nauseous.

    CoMa, May 1, 2004