    <=[BC]=>
    [/QUOTE]

    I assume your directing this at Geo H?

    Lithurge, Jun 29, 2003

  2. : (BC) wrote in
    : :
    : > In article <bdk30r$su2k7$>,
    : >
    : >>> Geo H wrote:
    : >>>>
    : >>>> I was flipping channels this morning and came across the
    : >>>> Anime version of Metropolis and caught the last 15
    : >>>> minutes or so. I was impressed by animation portrayed
    : >>>> and was wondering if any other Anime fans out there can
    : >>>> suggest some real good Anime titles...
    : >>>>
    : >>>> ...and what I mean by good, I mean high attention to
    : >>>> details and physics, and MOST importantly, where the
    : >>>> people look NORMAL and close to life - not the stupid
    : >>>> idiotic windswept angular hair or the ridiculously large
    : >>>> and enormous eyes or mouths Preferably stuff dealing
    : >>>> with Space or Sci-Fi - Absolutely NO Karate, Kung-Fu or
    : >>>> martial arts bullshit (unless its ninjas or Samurais and
    : >>>> very well done and real looking) - I'm just interested
    : >>>> in High-Tech, futuristic, Space Sci-Fi stuff (or
    : >>>> possibly even medieval) where the animation is smooth,
    : >>>> clean, realistic and not repeitive or choppy looking - I
    : >>>> really hate that - along with the frame-by-frame,
    : >>>> slo-mo, "Kwa-wa-wa-wa" sound-effect trademark evident in
    : >>>> all bad Anime in my opinion.
    : >
    : > Question - if you don't like anime style animation then why
    : > are you looking at the genre?
    : >
    : > <=[BC]=>
    : >
    :
    : I assume your directing this at Geo H?

    I do like Anime style animation, but only the real good style, where people
    and things look realistic and not stupid, where people have normal hair and
    eyes and where physics are not totally thrown out the window and behave
    properly as in (or as close to) the real world - Im sick and tired of
    everytime I tune in to see if there is anything that might be interesting to
    watch, and all that is ever played is Dick-in-Ball Z or Pokemon or Yugioh. I
    cant understand how this crap has become so popular for the pure and total
    shit that it is.

    I wasnt realism in animation and a level of sophisitication that would be
    put forth if it were going into an actual live action feature film, but
    cant, because of the things that can be done in anime and not in live action
    film.

    For example, I dont remember the name of it and am finding it real hard
    trying to explain it but I saw an anime short one time long ago, with some
    real high-tech racing machine where the drives were practically built into
    the machines, and they were racing around, and for whatever reason, one guys
    car just started falling apart on him little by little and he face was
    getting stretched out and emaciated and the car just kept going and going
    and thats all i remember beside the fact that the animation was really well
    done - back then(it was years ago I saw this) - light years beyond current
    kiddie anime today

    George Hernandez, Jun 29, 2003

  3. Geo H

    Jay G Guest

    That short was Yoshiaki Kawajiri's "The Running Man" from
    the anime anthology film Neo-Tokyo.
    http://us.imdb.com/Title?0185481

    Kawajiri also directed the short film "Program" that is on the
    Animatrix DVD. That short has some very realistic character
    work. He also wrote the Animatrix short "World Record"
    which resembles some aspects of "The Running Man."

    If you liked the Matrix, or even if you at least didn't hate it,
    you should check out the Animatrix. It provides a good
    range of stories and animation styles while exploring the
    world of the Matrix further. Also, since most of the
    director's of the shorts are world renowned, it can
    serve as a jumping off point, checking out what else
    the director of a short you liked has done.

    -Jay

    Jay G, Jun 29, 2003
  4. Geo H

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Derek Janssen, says...
    Hey, Derek, you aren't very consistent. First of all, you appear to be
    ripping people for not looking past 1996 anime, then you suggest Lupin
    III, Ranma 1/2, Macross, Original Dirty Pair, and Urusei Yatsura. Aside
    from Ranma, that's a flashback to the 80's.

    Secondly, I really enjoy most of the shows on your TV list, and yet I
    STILL love Ghost in the Shell. It's possible to do both, because people
    have different tastes. Ghost is hands-down one of the most visually
    interesting movies I've ever seen. In terms of art direction, it's in my
    top ten list for ALL movies, live action or animated. And for that
    reason alone it's worth a look.

    If you don't like GITS, that's fine, everyone has their individual
    taste, but you can't disregard that it is a classic of the genre, and a
    lot of people LOVE the film.

    Mark Spatny, Jun 29, 2003
  5. Geo H

    Wade365 Guest

    << only the real good style, where people
    and things look realistic and not stupid, >>

    Most people would say "stylized"... "stupid" is an opinion. I'm not crazy about
    huge eyes either but I don't belittle it because it doesn't meet with my
    tastes.

    << where people have normal hair and
    eyes and where physics are not totally thrown out the window and behave
    properly as in (or as close to) the real world >>

    While there are series without the eye thing going on, I don't think I've seen
    anything that doesn't have at least one spikey-headed hair-do (or
    "hair-don't"/mullet) in it.

    << Pokemon or Yugioh. I
    cant understand how this crap has become so popular for the pure and total
    shit that it is. >>

    Because it's aimed at kids based on a game which requires tons of imagination
    (like D&D when we were kids).

    << I wasnt realism in animation and a level of sophisitication that would be
    put forth if it were going into an actual live action feature film, but
    cant, because of the things that can be done in anime and not in live action
    film. >>

    Well, if you have the cash (cuz it's usually about $26 per disc) I'd recomend
    "Gasaraki" then... I've been holding off on posting about this series for
    awhile here because it's pretty deep, but you might like it. It's futuristic
    mech stuff like Gundam only it's kept to more realistic standards (ie the mechs
    aren't four stories tall with laser swords, they use grappling hooks and jump
    jets to scale a building, and there is a team in a trailer helping to
    navigate/control the thing etc.)

    There's a bit of Shinto symbolism and Eastern spiritualism, but I think you can
    stomach that stuff for the rest of the story which is political intrigue, mech
    action, love story... the usual cornucopia.

    Wade365, Jun 29, 2003
  6. : << only the real good style, where people
[...]

    Now THAT sounds right up the proverbial alley that Im looking for - There
    have been some of other stuff mentioned thats drawn my interest as well,
    even thought there has been discussion on this thread to avoid it - but as
    long as the animation meets the criteria, Im willing to risk giving it a
    try - Stuff like ghost in the shell, Akira and Mononoke - even though I
    thought Mononoke is old Feudal Japan type stuff and that isnt really my
    bag - But nevertheless, your Gasaraki recommendation sounds good to me.
    thanks

    George Hernandez, Jun 29, 2003
  7. Geo H

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    Derek is one of those annoying fanboys whose instinctive reaction is to
    automatically hate anything that is liked by people outside of his small
    circle of fanboy friends.

    Joshua Zyber, Jun 29, 2003
  8. All of the old feudal Japan stuff I've seen isn't very historical.
    Ninja Scroll had all sorts of giant demons and monsters, Princess
    Mononoke had possessed giant pigs and a Deer God, etc. You should see
    them both, although Princess Mononoke is better.

    --
    "It is dark, you are likely to be eaten by a grue."
    --Zork

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 29, 2003
  9. You put that very well. Bingo.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 30, 2003
  10. I saw it a few weeks ago for the first time, I quite liked it.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 30, 2003
  11. Geo H

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Derek Janssen, says...
    Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I saw it first in a theater,
    long before it was on DVD.

    Mark Spatny, Jun 30, 2003
  12. Geo H

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Joshua Zyber, says...
    Well, Derek has steered me towards some things I probably wouldn't have
    seen otherwise, so I'll give him credit for that.

    Mark Spatny, Jun 30, 2003
  13. Geo H

    BC Guest

    My advice - go watch something that doesn't have a huge following at your
    local kindergarden. Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh! and such are obviously aimed at
    kids, designed to sell merchandise... No serious anime fans would
    consider TV-shows like Digimon or Pokemon to be "proper" anime anyways I
    don't think.
    I think I might seen something like that too, but I can't be sure.
    Anyways not a jap anime, but check out Heavy Metal 2000. Probably too
    crazy and fantasical for your taste, but it's more sci-fi/punky than most
    animated stuff out there, and it was definitely not made for kids. Or
    check out Aeon Flux. Crazy hair too, and the physics might not be
    realistic, but it's definitely NOT fluffy in that Japanese anime kind of
    way (it's another american made thing...)

    <=[BC]=>

    BC, Jun 30, 2003
  14. Geo H

    BC Guest

    I didn't like Gasaraki at all. It was good to begin with, but like many
    anime series out there the ending seemed rushed, and just didn't make any
    sense at all. I do NOT recommand it.

    <=[BC]=>

    BC, Jun 30, 2003
  15. Geo H

    Codswallop Guest

    I eased my girlfriend in using Love Hina, Chobits, Initial D, Spirited
    Away, Laputa, Lupin stuff, Mononoke, Perfect Blue and eventually
    Hellsing...

    Actually, wouldn't mind getting some suggestions from others on what to
    watch myself. What are Marmalade Boy, Serial Experiments Lain, Shaman
    King, Fushi Yuugi (sp?) like? Any other recommendations (new or old)?

    Codswallop, Jul 1, 2003
  16. Geo H

    BC Guest

    Hmmm, try the Oh! My Goddess series or the movie... Chick flicky, but I
    like them, especially the movie.

    Anyways anyone here seen the anime movie Cobra? Have it on video, but I'm
    trying to track it down on DVD...

    <=[BC]=>

    BC, Jul 1, 2003
  17. Geo H

    Evil Guest

    although you are being quite abrasive in your commentary here, this is
    a quite common criticism of anime. In fact, many US Animators very
    much dislike Japanese animation b/c of it is less fluid and has less
    "weight" (animation wise) than US.

    Likely you will dislike TV Anime much more than motion picture anime
    as TV has a more limited budget, animates often on 4s or worse, and
    more often takes shortcuts (those flashing lines to denote fast
    motion, etc. ). Of course, these are all constraints of budget/time
    inherent in tv series, but many of the complains are also levied
    towards even the bigger budget animes, like even the recent SPIRITED
    AWAY.

    Japanese anime has a different style to it, which includes animation
    techniques and shorthands. Just like Scooby and Shaggy running past
    the same background 10x in a row is a US shorthand.

    You may find that Ghilbi films (though they don't fall into your genre
    preferences) are stylistically more of what you are interested in.
    They are one of the few Japanese anime studios that does animate
    frequently on 1s and 2s.

    I do think that given your very low tolerance threshhold, you are more
    likely to be frustrated and satisfied with Anime titles.

    However, i DO think that AKIRA and GHOST IN THE SHELL are two titles
    that fit your requests even though plotwise they get kind of messy
    (understatement?). Also consider MEMORIES, 3 shorts which are all
    excellent.

    Evil, Jul 1, 2003
  18. Geo H

    Ped Xing Guest

    Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been wanting to know what this
    was for YEARS. Now comes the task of trying to find it on DVD. First
    blush seems no?

    Ped Xing, Jul 2, 2003
  19. Geo H

    Jay G Guest

    It's out on a Japanese R2 DVD with anamorphic widescreen video,
    but unfortunately no English subtitles or dub.
    http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=KABD-520
    http://yeseule.net/neotokyodvd.htm

    There's a DVD on ebay with English subs, but it looks like it's a
    bootleg of the R2.

    I'd say the lack of a translation isn't too much of a hindrance,
    since there's very little dialogue in Running Man or Labyrinth.
    "The Order To Stop Construction" is probably the only
    one that one needs to know the dialogue of.

    It's odd that it's not out on R1 yet, since it was one of the
    earlier animes that we made available in the US.

    -Jay

    Jay G, Jul 2, 2003
  20. Geo H

    Ralph Snart Guest

    i know exactly what you mean.

    here's some stuff i liked (i liked metropolis a whole lot too)...

    serial experiments: lain (amazing cyberpunk weirdness)
    bubblegum crisis 2040 (giant robots)
    spirited away (slightly "kiddie" but trippy as hell)
    akira (all time classic - the "blade runner" of anime)
    ghost in the shell (another classic)
    flcl (aka "fooly cooly" or "furi kuri"... beyond weird.)
    animatrix (a little debatable, but most of it is written &
    directed by japanese anime guys. it's reallllly good.)
    reign: the conqueror (alexander the great on acid)

    that oughta get you started.

    -rs-

    Ralph Snart, Jul 2, 2003