    As for Akira, it's definitely not the type of anime he
    was looking for, although he might end up enjoying it.

    -Jay

    Jay G, Jun 28, 2003

  2. Geo H

    Dale Hicks Guest

    Is there a point to watching the Ranma and Ikkoku videos if you've already
    read the manga? Do they add onto the universe any?

    And why the later volumes of UY? They used to be on the list "back in
    1993", why don't you consider them as good (or were they already to V6 by
    then?)?

    Does Kigagamure Orange Road (sp?) still hold up? It used to be on a
    "greatest" list back in the day as well.

    Dirty Pair does seem suspect, but I haven't seen the series, so I can't
    criticize blindly.

    Dale Hicks, Jun 28, 2003

  3. Geo H

    Animeg3282 Guest

    derek said
    Dude, you should rec him so his and her circumstances and fruits baskets if
    you're all that excited.

    Animeg3282, Jun 28, 2003
  4. Geo H

    Animeg3282 Guest

    What are you talking about? His and Her Circumstances(by the creators of Eva)
    and Utena are some of the best anime story and character wise, but they are not
    intended for 14 year old boys..

    Animeg3282, Jun 28, 2003
  5. Geo H

    Animeg3282 Guest

    tom saod
    Slayers is first, then Slayers Next and then Slayers Try

    Animeg3282, Jun 28, 2003
  6. Geo H

    Animeg3282 Guest

    derek said
    That's well and good, but if anyone said Patlabor, i would second that
    recommend. It's about a police force which uses labors which are big robots to
    do cases. I've only seen the two movies, but I hear the TV series is like the
    1st movie which was my favorite.

    Animeg3282, Jun 28, 2003
  7. They were on the list back when we were glad AnimEigo was doing them at
    all, but AE was still stuck slowly grinding out the first season,
    and....oh, lord, that first season. >_<

    Finally, they got to V6, with the half-hour first-season recap episode
    (all the plot-setup, without having to sit through it!), and what Mamoru
    Oshii--YES, "the guy who did Ghost in the Shell"--did with the second
    season and onwards kind of ties into the whole question of "Why watch
    the anime if you've already read the manga?"
    In fact, we STILL use it as the example to judge by.
    Again, that was in the day when AnimEigo and Viz were the only companies
    *making* disks, so the general rule was, recommend anything they HAD.
    ....Nnnnope. Guess you can't. : )

    (And note that ADV's "Original..." is mentioned, seeing as there's
    always some idiot who picks up a disk and say, "Oh, look 'Flash', is
    this the one?")

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jun 28, 2003
  8. Geo H

    Lithurge Guest

    Being 11 years old in a country that had 3 TV channels ;-)

    Always up for a laugh. I have to admit to hating dubs, something
    to do with the fact the people doing it always sound like
    they're overacting/ruching their lines. At least if they're
    doing it in japanese I can't tell :)
    OK good a place as any to try the romantic/sitcoms I've not
    looked at so far. I always hate to judge without trying, but as
    I live in the UK very little makes it's way here & it was hard
    to track down (relativley) cheap imports, let alone seeing
    anything on TV, and there always seemed to be something more my
    taste. (Ok I hate When Harry met Sally type films).

    Hehe - see earlier & remove the little sister. Think we had 4
    channels by then though. And it was the fourth that introduced
    me to Anime (Akira being the first of a limited few they put on
    at about 2 o'clock in the morning)
    Got & loved Nedesico ages ago & reckon I'm a bit beyond the
    learner permit, Anime makes up about 1/6 of my 600 odd dvd's,
    and that was from poor availability at decent prices.

    Now I'm just looking for some choice of what's out there &
    there's a lot out there to choose from.

    Lithurge, Jun 28, 2003
  9. It is. Oh, boy, is it.
    With Macross (non-Plus), we're talking "Robotech: the ORIGINAL". And if
    you never saw Robotech either, well, what *were* you doing back in 1984?
    Well, let's see:

    - Slayers: Either fantasy action with comedy, or loony comedy with
    fantasy action, depending on how you look at it--Generally gets
    recommended for being the kind of show that hooks its victims halfway
    through the first episode.
    (Dub's okay, but watch with subtitles to first encounter the legendary
    "anti-cute" force of nature that *is* voice actress Megumi
    Hayashibara--Once you hear that voice, you will spot it immediately on
    any show she does.) ^_^

    - Tenchi Universe: Another genre mix--Starts out as quirky sitcom (as
    our well-meaning hero finds his house stuck with an increasing number of
    space pirates and intergalactic princesses that decide to stay), then
    zooms off into space for sci-fi epic...And STILL keeps the quirky sitcom.

    - Ranma 1/2: Yeah, "back when there was only Viz and AnimEigo", this
    one got recommendations for being Viz and for actually being in stores.
    And for being the most mainstream-accessible oddball of all Rumiko
    Takahashi's sitcoms.

    - Maison Ikkoku: If you've watched Ranma 1/2, then you've probably
    caught on to the, erm, distinctive ways Rumiko likes to set up a
    romantic comedy--Now watch her set up a more down-to-earth and "grownup"
    one. (And don't let Viz's mushy descriptions fool you: This's a
    *guys'* romantic comedy...We've all been there.)

    - Original Dirty Pair: The show that *invented* the "space babes with
    guns" stereotype that outsiders used to throw around back in the day,
    but this one did it RIGHT.

    - Sailor Moon S: Sooo, "it's the crappy dubbed little-girl show your
    little sister used to watch after school back in '94", huh? Sure, pal.
    Whatever. Keep thinkin' that. Then watch as the second half of the
    series suddenly kicks into overdrive and accelerates toward an
    apocalyptic story arc that would put most Buffy season finales to shame.
    (And really, if you stop to think about it....nahh.) ; )
    Oh, and need we add, the reason it's on disk is so that you can watch it
    WITHOUT said crappy dub your little sister used to watch after school
    back in '94.

    - Martian Successor Nadesico: Space-fleet action, as filtered through
    the Japanese anime freedom to let its characters be a little,
    well...odd. Often referred to as "Robotech meets Dilbert".

    (And if you do well on your learner's permit, *then* we'll talk about
    letting you have the keys to "Excel Saga".)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jun 28, 2003
  10. Has it occurred to you that many people actually like Ghost in the Shell
    and Akira? What do you personally have against them? I'll bet you have
    a PS2.

    --
    "It is dark, you are likely to be eaten by a grue."
    --Zork

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 28, 2003
  11. Haven't seen it yet but so far my friends haven't let me down.
    Virtually all foreign films are going to play in art houses, regardless
    of their accessibility. The term "art house" has become a genre, not
    just a venue. Heck, Castle in the Sky probably played at "art house"
    theaters, but it certainly doesn't mesh with the usual "art house" fare.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 28, 2003
  12. "Weird and artsy," eh? That reveals a lot about yourself. Okay, aside
    from anime, what other movies do you like?
    Who's saying they are? Everybody knows how broad anime is. But movies
    like Akira and Ghost in the Shell are readily available and good
    starting points for the newbie.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 28, 2003
  13. Geo H

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Geo H, says...
    Good sci-fi themes, without being too hokey or cheesy:

    Ghost in the Shell
    Macross Plus
    Laputa: Castle in the Sky
    Battle Angel Alita
    Bubblegum Crisis (the original)
    Mobile Police Patlabor
    Armitage III
    Wings of Honneamise
    Robot Carnival
    Lain
    Dirty Pair

    This one is a little cheesy, but very funny:
    Cat Girl Nuku Nuku

    Other good, more realistic anime that isn't sci-fi:
    Gunsmith Cats
    Riding Bean
    Lupin III
    Grave of the Fireflies

    Given your tases, you will absolutely want to stay away from anything
    with "sailor", "CLAMP", "A-ko" or "Devil Hunter Yohko" in the title.

    Mark Spatny, Jun 28, 2003
  14. Geo H

    ThePunisher Guest

    Didn't BBC 2 show Akira first?

    --
    ThePunisher
    "To me, the description of '5.1' implies discrete multi-channel

    ThePunisher, Jun 28, 2003
  15. Geo H

    Peter Guest

    I would recommend Macross Plus sci-fi, good action, giant
    robots/planes.. Very good

    If you don't mind going back in time a little, I'd also recommend the
    Robotech Series. Although it's a little dated by today's standards, it's
    still, overall, a good story.

    I'd recommened against Neon Genesis.. Many like it, but it tries to be
    very "Deep" and "make you think"
    Basically, no one understood the ending, so they made a movie to explain
    it. Last I heard, they were making (or had made) a 2nd movie to explain
    the first movie...

    Peter, Jun 28, 2003
  16. Geo H

    Jay G Guest

    Sorry, thought the post Wade responded to came from
    George; it's hard to keep track in these long threads.

    As for what type of anime you're looking for, well,
    what type of film/TV usually interests you?

    Since you liked Miyazaki, I'd recommend more of his
    films, most notably Kiki's Delivery Service, My
    Neighbor Totoro, Castle of Caligistro, and
    yes, even Princess Mononoke.

    As for other anime I'd recommend:

    Read Or Die - This anime is simply 90 minutes of fun.
    It manages to combine action and humor with style.

    The Irresponsible Captain Tylor - A sci-fi comedy
    series that's a lot of fun.

    Hellsing - An anime that combines action and horror
    with an emphasis on style. However, considering
    you disliked Bebop, it might not be for you.

    Escaflowne, the series - A show that effectively
    combines mecha (giant human controlled robots)
    and fantasy with an involving storyline. The movie
    is essentially a 90 minute retelling of the story,
    with changes to characters and plot to fit the
    compressed time. I didn't like the movie at all,
    but you might enjoy it if you watch it first.

    -Jay

    Jay G, Jun 29, 2003
  17. Geo H

    Jay G Guest

    Derek's sarcastic, eletist tone can be found in pratically all of
    his posts, it's just most notable when you disagree with him.
    Actually, I think George was very clear on what he
    was looking for:
    " I'm just interested in High-Tech, futuristic, Space Sci-Fi
    stuff (or possibly even medieval) where the animation is smooth,
    clean, realistic and not repetitive or choppy looking "

    However, you're right that we don't have to give him the
    right answer. Being slightly disingenuous is a good way
    to try and open people's horizons. Some of the stuff
    recommended was so wildly off base that it runs the risk
    of alienating him before he's really begun though. I mean,
    to read that he's interested in sci-fi/fantasy stuff and then
    recommend GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES?

    So far, Mark Spanty's post has been the best response:
    First, he recommends anime that fits the criteria. Then he
    lists other animes, saying "these don't quite fit, but I'm
    recommending because they're good anyway."

    -Jay

    Jay G, Jun 29, 2003
  18. The first movie is great (assuming you've seen the series and know what
    the heck is going on)--
    Tenchi in Tokyo is funny if you've seen the first series, and ALSO if
    you know that somebody was apparently fired after the first
    jawdroppingly awful four or five episodes and that the show gets a LOT
    better by the end of Vol. 2...

    ....But this is a post about first-timer shows, and Tenchi OVA is NOT a
    show for first-timers. It's not a show for those who started on the TV
    series. It might not be a show for *anybody*. 0_0;;;
    After trying to make running canonical heads or tails of the first
    half-dozen OAV episodes and giving up, you start to wonder whether
    they're just making the whole darn thing up every week.

    The OAV is a series that clubs you senseless with the Spiked Bat of
    Confusion, and then taunts you to get up so it can hit you again.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jun 29, 2003
  19. Geo H

    BC Guest

    Question - if you don't like anime style animation then why are you
    looking at the genre?

    <=[BC]=>

    BC, Jun 29, 2003
  20. Geo H

    BC Guest

    There are many such anime out there - artful and adult and "good"... One
    example is Cowboy Bebop.

    Cowboy Bebop isn't arty, although it is stylish... It's aimed for a more
    mature audience, with a deeper story than most anime out there, but yet it
    has the humour and the fast paced action that younger audience would/could
    appreciate. The characters are believable (okay, maybe not Ed, but she's
    a fun wacky distraction), so is the art style.
    Sounds like he doesn't actually like the general style of anime... So
    what does he like?

    <=[BC]=>

    BC, Jun 29, 2003