    SBS 2003, 4 PC's. Client is in Petone, Lower Hutt.

    If anyone is interested call me on 021 515694.

    GJ

    gj, Nov 6, 2005

  2. gj

    PC Guest

    GJ

    Mmm notice you're inudated with non replies.

    It's that word "intermittent'.

    I doubt you'll get much response without guaranteed payment for work done
    irrespective of resolution or not.

    May I politely suggest their most effective solution would be to start
    afresh, new hardware, fresh OS etc.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Nov 8, 2005

  3. It was SBS that scared me off

    Mark Robinson, Nov 8, 2005
  4. gj

    ~misfit~ Guest

    You monitoring his cell phone?

    ~misfit~, Nov 8, 2005
  5. gj

    PC Guest

    oooooops

    wouldn't mind betting there hasn't been (m)any.

    P. :)

    PC, Nov 9, 2005
  6. gj

    gj Guest

    I have had 2 replies via cellphone and am meeting them over the next few
    days. Why are you so cynical about "Intermittent". A small business that
    is well setup should only need Intermittent support.

    Why do they need to start anew. I am unable to support day to day
    requests. I suggest all those detractors have never dealt with small
    business IT concerns.

    GJ

    gj, Nov 9, 2005
  7. gj

    PC Guest

    GJ

    Ah the might of the English language!

    'Intermittant' and 'issues' in the same sentence imply 'problems of an
    ongoing (and transitory) nature'.

    I appologise if I got it wrong but the way it read to me was a potential
    nightmare of 'urgent' fix it now calls, staff peering over one's shoulder
    saying 'what's that for, why do that, how long you going to be, old
    equipment, etc.

    Perhaps 'Casual support services' would be more descriptive of the tasks
    envisioned.

    This 'small business IT concerns' market that you describe, is the main
    component of my own business, so I do understand (now) the tasks and support
    duties needed for this client.

    It just shows how carefull one has to be 'communicating'

    Hope you find a suitable replacement.

    Paul.

    PC, Nov 9, 2005
  8. gj

    GJ Guest

    Thanks Paul, and I have found a suitable replacement.

    As to the communication I feel it was good English and your
    interpretation, the bain of most language complaints, was one of many
    valid interpretations but IMHO not the most common.

    Definitions from http://www.m-w.com/dictionary
    Intermittent: "coming and going at intervals : not continuous"
    Issue: "a final outcome that usually constitutes a solution"

    Anyway, thanks for your reply. You don't get too many people correcting
    themselves, or thinking, in this medium.

    GJ

    GJ, Nov 10, 2005
  9. gj

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Huh? What's David Bain got to do with this?

    ~misfit~, Nov 10, 2005
  10. gj

    PC Guest

    Oh dear, one has to be so 'careful'

    "bain" dare I postulate the spelling should have been "bane" as in " source
    of persistent annoyance or exasperation "

    A small addition to the 'intermittent' discussion.
    So often one's understanding of a words meaning is coloured by life's
    experience.
    In this case (for me anyway) chasing 'intermittent faults in electronic gear
    may have been because some thing was "stopping and starting at intervals"
    But they rapidly descend to the level of a " source of persistent annoyance
    or exasperation " when the little (expletive deleted) #$%^&*@'s won't go
    away.
    Hence my tendency to regard the word with 'suspicion'

    Again: isn't the English Language wonderful!

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Nov 10, 2005
  11. gj

    GJ Guest

    I understand it is the hardest of all languages to learn as a second
    language. I have always liked the punctuation game, from
    http://www.engl.niu.edu/comskills/students/editing/Joy.html

    Sentence: "a woman without her man is nothing"
    Punctuation 1: "A woman without her man is nothing."
    Punctuation 2: "A woman: without her, man is nothing."

    GJ

    GJ, Nov 11, 2005
  12. gj

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I figured that. I was being, uncharacteristically for me, a smartarse. You
    know, a sentence about "good English", quoting from an *American*
    dictionary, (heh!) using the spelling "bain" instead of "bane". Irony is one
    of my weak points, I'm a sucker for it.
    Indeed. I revel in it's complexity.

    ~misfit~, Nov 11, 2005
  13. gj

    GJ Guest

    Feeling very sheepish. Gently fading into the background.

    GJ

    GJ, Nov 11, 2005
  14. gj

    ~misfit~ Guest

    <g> I've never felt 'sheepish'. What's it feel like? I've always thought it
    was an odd turn of phrase. Colourful, but odd. Also, I dare say it would be
    pretty hazardous to feel sheepish if one was in Australia.

    :)

    ~misfit~, Nov 11, 2005
  15. gj

    GJ Guest

    If you drop your wallet just keep on walking. Do not pick it up ;-)

    GJ, Nov 11, 2005
  16. gj

    ~misfit~ Guest

    LOL! Good advice.