need certificate please help

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Lulu, Jul 28, 2008.

  1. Lulu

    Lulu Guest

    OK. Here is my problem. I am not that techno savvy but I know a little.

    I got a new laptop – using Vista. Gave my old laptop – using XP to my niece.

    Then I got a new router/modem – Linksys WAG160N.

    My new laptop connects fine – no problems there.

    The older laptop – cannot connect at all. I get a bubble error message
    saying "unable to find a certificate to log on to the network"

    I did some googling and downloaded a WINKB917021v3 as that is what everyone
    else seemed to do... and that didn't work either.

    This is really annoying. I have checked all the settings and they match and
    are fine. Have set and reset and done loads of troubleshooting.

    I called Linksys and they said they couldn't help!

    Does anyone know what to do?

    Lulu, Jul 28, 2008

  2. Lulu

    Barb Bowman Guest

    probably 802.11n authentication is checked. you need to uncheck it.
    also, WEP is not safe. you need to switch to WPA2 or at least WPA.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jul 28, 2008

  3. Hi
    You have to configure the old laptop to match the Wireless Router.
    Start with the security disabled in the Router, and after you have a
    connection configure the max available security according to the following.
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 29, 2008
  4. Lulu

    smlunatick Guest

    Older XP (SP2) requires a separate update to activate WPA2 wireless
    security and will need to WGA validated for this update to be
    installed.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357

    smlunatick, Jul 31, 2008