Need camera that displays Picture ID

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Erik Pettersen, Feb 2, 2005.

  1. Hi All,

    I work for a non-profit that does field data collection on urban blight
    conditions using pocket PC's and digital cameras. We currently use the
    bulky, expensive (for what they are), and increasingly hard to find
    Sony Mavica FD-Models.

    The one thing that the Mavica's do very well is that they display the
    picture id or file ID in the picture preview after taking a snapshot.

    This is important because we enter the picture id in a field on the
    pocket PC software so that the pictures can be integrated/matched up
    with the collected data for analysis and reporting later.

    Most digital camera's have the option to display the picture/file ID
    when in a picture "REVIEW" mode or the like, but it's cumbersome to
    switch modes constantly just to verify the picture/file ID. Most
    camera's display the number of pictures left, but that doesn't really
    help either. What's needed is for the camera to show the file/picture
    ID when showing the picture preview after a picture is taken.

    If you know of a camera, or a camera line that either supports this
    behavior by default (or through some menu settings)... besides of
    course the sony mavica's... I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know
    which camera(s) models you know of. Or if you are so inclined see if
    the camera you have supports this functionality and report back.
    Thanks a ton!

    Erik

    Erik Pettersen, Feb 2, 2005

  2. My 20D Canon will display the information anytime you are displaying the
    image, but pressing the "Info" button. It has three modes:

    Image
    Image w/ basic info
    No Image with lots of info.

    I expect many of the dSLRs will have a information display ability.

    While I have not looked into it, it appears the 20D has the ability to
    work directly from the laptop, controlled by the laptop.

    Joseph Meehan, Feb 3, 2005

  3. Erik  Pettersen

    Sheldon Guest

    My Nikon D70 displays the ID immediately after taking the photo. You can
    also go back though the photos you've taken and it will also display the ID
    with the photo. By manipulating the 4-way control you can get much more
    information, including a histogram, which you probably don't need.

    Sheldon, Feb 3, 2005