Need Basic help with Pix 501 config

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by pierce911, Mar 12, 2007.

  1. pierce911

    pierce911 Guest

    Hello again! I am an entry-level tech needing help with a Cisco Pix
    501.

    I am in the unfortunate position of having a lot of responsibility
    dumped on me and not a lot of knowledge to back it up. I am making
    the best of a bad situation......

    I need to figure out what IP address my Pix 501 was configured to. It
    was configured by my boss, who has no recollection of what he did, and
    he has no experience on Pix either.
    I need this IP address in order to move forward on the project that it
    was purchased for, but I am stuck.

    Could someone please help me - with basic instructions on how to check
    the settings/configuration?
    Please keep in mind that I have NO experience with Pix.

    Thank you in advance.

    pierce911, Mar 12, 2007

  2. Hi,

    You need to ssh to the server, or connect to the console port "vt100"
    and a password.
    Then run "enable" and a password.
    Then run "show run", to see the config.
    Run "show ip" to see the ip addresses.

    //Jan

    jan.rockstedt, Mar 12, 2007

  3. pierce911

    pierce911 Guest

    Thank you for your help. Please forgive my ignorance. Can you tell
    me what ssh if? I thought I would have to connect to the Pix with my
    laptop.

    Sorry for the trouble - I am learning as I am going.

    pierce911, Mar 12, 2007
  4. pierce911

    Ian Wilson Guest

    Secure Shell, a secure alternative to Telnet for connecting to your Pix
    using the network.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Shell
    Since you don't know your Pix's IP address, it is likely that you don't
    know it's name on the network either (otherwise you could use nslookup
    to find it's IP address). Therefore you will be unable to use SSH or
    Telnet to connect to it.

    So yes, you'll have to use a laptop and a serial (RS232) connection to
    the console port in the back of the device (I assume your Pix has one).
    You presumably know how to do this and have the correct cables.

    Once you have discovered it's IP address, I'd save a copy of the config
    to the laptop. You may need to refer to it if you want more help in this
    newsgroup.

    There's free documentation and how-to guides available at Cisco's
    web-site. However Cisco's "IOS" operating system is not exactly easy to
    learn.

    I'm fairly new to Cisco kit and unqualified, so if I had a Pix I'd start
    by using their web-based SDM configuration tool. Your Mileage May Vary.

    Have you considered getting paid help from a qualified Cisco consultant?

    Ian Wilson, Mar 12, 2007
  5. pierce911

    chris Guest

    Then it's a good job that the Pix doesn't run IOS.

    ;-)

    Chris.

    chris, Mar 12, 2007
  6. Well OK, but the PixOS commands quoted by Jan Rockstedt look exactly
    like IOS commands to me :)

    It seems Cisco are assimilating Network Translation's Pix and PixOS,
    just as they did Crescendo's Catalyst switches and CatOS. Resistance is
    futile!

    RedGrittyBrick, Mar 12, 2007
  7. pierce911

    chris Guest

    Well, Pix 7.x is starting to look more like IOS but 6.x is nothing like!

    Indeed. Everything they buy get's turned into IOS styley software. CatOS,
    Pix. I've been working with the CSS (Arrowpoint) and Service Control Engines
    (P-Cube), but both boxes are very non-IOS like at the moment but it's early
    days. They will be assimilated eventually. Like you say, resistance is
    futile!

    chris, Mar 12, 2007
  8. pierce911

    James Guest

    If you are lucky, the PIX may have been configured to dish out IP
    addresses by DHCP. Set your PC to DHCP and find out, then, if you get an
    IP, either Telnet/SSH/HTTPS to the gateway address.

    Cheers

    James, Mar 13, 2007
  9. pierce911

    pierce911 Guest

    I have resolved my issue. Thank you to everyone for your assistance.

    pierce911, Mar 21, 2007