    I originally tried putting the router in the same room as the modem but that made a marginal difference. now the router is in my room and the modem is still in the office so that a sufficient signal reaches the tv room. my proposed router locations are where I think it would be the best locations to get better wifi coverage along with getting internet to the shop which right now barely gets a signal.

    so with that are my ideas for router placement ok or would there be better locations and what router/range expander would be best. if I can id like to leave the modem where its at and hardwire routers to it.

    Attached Files:

    vwabbitman, Apr 30, 2013

  2. vwabbitman

    Atkgn182

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2013
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    0
    Purchase 2 Ubiquiti Unifi LR Access Points and place them strategically to provide sufficient coverage. One consumer grade wireless router won't do the job.

    Atkgn182, Aug 4, 2013

  3. vwabbitman

    vwabbitman

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2013
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    I do have another netgear 7550 modem router from frontier. I tried to set it up as a straight router and it shows it working but anything connected to it wired or wireless cannot access the internet even though the internet light is on on the router. It is set up on the upstairs wall facing the shop. Internet works when connected to modem in office or the router in my room. I followed instructions I found online on how to set up the 7550 as a router and disable the modem function. I wanted to have the router on the wall facing the shop be a completely different ssid from the router in my room.

    vwabbitman, Aug 9, 2013