Need advise on Cisco router

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by kartik.unix, Oct 1, 2013.

1. kartik.unix

kartik.unix Guest

Hi,

Comcast, my ISP, is asking me to upgrade their modem to a modem+router+wireless device. My girlfriend upgraded hers, and I can no longer have my virtual machines talk to the outside world even though I have bridged networkingsetup and have all virtual machines on the same subnet as the new modem+router combo.

I have hence decided to not upgrade my comcast modem, which is connected, at present, to, a d-link router. This router serves my functions well. I canput my virtual machines on the same network as the router provides and I can also put a physical(non virtual machine) on the DMZ.

So, that's the story.

My question is, if, comcast "forces" me to upgrade to their modem+router combo, then, what options do I have to have my virtual machines on the same subnet talk to each other and to the internet?

Would a Cisco router help? I guess I could NAT.....

Please feel free to advise and also to ask questions about my configuration..

Thanks in advance.....

kartik.unix, Oct 1, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. kartik.unix

phamid

I don't see how Comcast would force you to upgrade to another device. I would say to keep your existing dlink config if you're happy with it, get their modem from them if it's a freebie (doesn't hurt to have a backup).

phamid, Oct 4, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question