need advice on choosing web hosting company

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by s, Apr 22, 2009.

  1. s

    s Guest

    I am a newbie who had his site(like www.myname.com just containing my
    profile, some 350MB content) at one point. The site contents were
    hosted with my ISP. My previous web hosting company simply pointed the
    DNS entry of www.myname.com to my ISP(www.myisp.com/myuseridwithISP)
    where the site existed. I hope I am explaining it correctly. Please
    correct me if I am wrong as this is what I was told by my ISP.

    But, somehow the domain name did not get auto-renewed, I was not
    informed about it and I lost it. Now, I have to get a similar domain
    name(www.myfirstnamelastname.com) Which would be a proper place to buy
    one? I believe register.com and moniker.com should be fine which
    charge some 10$ for a year, but are there better options?

    Similarly, for hosting which web hosting company might be affordable.
    My earlier site was hosted on Powweb.com which charged some 8$ per
    month.

    What are the things I need to be aware of while getting a domain and
    selecting a web hosting company?

    My requirements are maximum uptime of site, it is a personal site(not
    for business), content size may go up from 350MB to 900MB. The site is
    fully designed so I don't need any tools. All I need is to tell the
    web hosting company to point the new domain to the site hosted on my
    ISP server.

    Can someone please advise? I apologize if this is the wrong forum, but
    as I am a newbie, I don't know much about getting the proper hosting
    company.

    Thanks a lot.

    s, Apr 22, 2009

  2. So you are saying you want to use your ISP's free web spaces, rather
    than get proper hosting? I guess that's ok for a hobby site...
    There are a few bargain registrars out there, but I would rather advise
    you use a reputable company. godaddy.com is fine (unless you are hosting
    a porn site - and this likely applies to most registrars).
    $6-10 per month is pretty much standard for a shared hosting starter
    package.
    Standard advice is to never purchase domain names from the same company
    where one gets hosting. If the hosting company goes belly-up, you've
    lost your domain.
    Still want to use the ISP space? You have two choices: 1) a framed
    'stealth' redirect from the registrar, or 2) a standard redirect to your
    http://myisp.com/myuserid/ I'd recommend 2, because stealth redirect
    prohibits bookmarking of individual pages of your site.

    Normally, there is little to no support from ISPs for web space. If you
    can afford real hosting, get it. I'd recommend one with "cPanel" control
    panel. You can usually set up domain name email addresses, use
    sub-domains, get stats logs, use databases, server-side programming, and
    lots more advantages.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 22, 2009

  3. Don't trust me; go ask in alt.www.webmaster
    While not completely impossible, it is certainly quite difficult to get
    a transfer/release code (EPP transfer code) from a defunct registrar who
    refuses to answer your request for a code, and to unlock the
    registration.

    See point 1 in this section:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name_registrar#Domain_name_transfer
    ...and your babbling about ICANN is meaningless, as they are not a
    registrar, cannot be contacted by domain owners, and will not issue an
    EPP transfer code.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 22, 2009
  4. s

    Evan Platt Guest

    So.. You violated a contract you agreed to. That makes them assholes?
    I'm sure their happy they have nothing to do with you anymore.

    Evan Platt, Apr 22, 2009
  5. s

    s Guest

    Thanks for your reply.
    How do I know which are reputable companies like godaddy.com? How is
    snapnames.com?
    Which web hosting companies are reputable from which I should
    purchase?

    Thanks, but for my my own site, I don't need those.

    s, Apr 23, 2009
  6. snapnames.com appears to be a buy-and-sell existing domains place, not a
    regular registrar. I have several domains with Godaddy, and I am happy
    with them.
    Well, there are thousands of hosting companies. I have most of my sites
    hosted with axishost.com
    Don't need what?

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 23, 2009