    (I haven't)

    Thanks in advance to any replies,

    TD

    TD, Jul 14, 2003

  2. TD

    Robertwgross Guest

    First of all, I suspect that you will read gripes about any vendor that does a
    lot of business. Second, I suspect that you will read fewer gripes on a
    percentage basis about B&H as compared to the next vendor. Their prices are not
    always the cheapest on the block, but then, I have also ordered stuff from the
    cheapest on the block and I regretted every moment. I find B&H to be very
    reliable.

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Jul 14, 2003

  3. TD

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    B&H has never disappointed me and I was mail ordering from them 20 years ago.

    Just be sure of what you want, check if it is in stock and check their holiday
    schedule. They are orthodox jews and close early Friday, and are closed
    Saturday. So if you order via the internet, anything ordered Friday will ship
    Monday.

    Rosita

    HRosita, Jul 14, 2003
  4. TD

    Mark B. Guest

    People that have a bad experience tend to complain a lot more loudly. I've
    been buying from B&H since the early 90's, and I can tell you they are THE
    most reliable source I've ever used. They make thousands of transactions a
    month, so of course there are going to be mistakes. But the percentage is
    extremely low, relatively speaking.

    Mark

    Mark B., Jul 15, 2003
  5. TD

    TD Guest

    Thanks to everybody for all the helpful input. Sounds like B&H will due just
    fine...

    Also- is some kind of announcement from Nikon due on the 22nd of July as
    mentioned in the above post? If so, maybe I'll wait it out.

    TD

    TD, Jul 15, 2003
  6. TD

    Abrasha Guest

    I don't know if they are more reliable, but another large vendor in New York,
    with a real store is J&R. http://www.jandr.com/

    I have bought from them, and have been happy, after initially having trouble
    with them.
    What's a Nikon 10D counterattack?

    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com

    Abrasha, Jul 15, 2003
  7. TD

    TD Guest

    Sorry, should have reworded that question. What I meant to ask is if Nikon
    has any near-future plans to compete (counterattack) with Canon's EOS 10D
    with either an improved version of the D100, or an all-new camera, at a
    similar pricing level. I haven't heard anything, but haven't dug very deep
    either. Since I'm semi-close to buying time (maybe within 2 mos), I'd
    consider waiting a bit longer if Nikon came up with something worthy of the
    wait, especially since I have some Nikon lenses for my FE2 that I could use
    on a Nikon digital body rather than have to shell out for an all-new Canon
    setup. And not being a pro, I don't immediately need the best lenses.

    I hope that about spells that question out...

    TD

    TD, Jul 15, 2003
  8. TD

    Don Coon Guest

    Prices are generally higher than B&H and Adorama based on my quick review of
    Canon EOS lenses.
    Price reductions to stay competitive and/or enhanced feature enhancements to
    do the same --- I presume.

    Don Coon, Jul 15, 2003
  9. TD

    Bill Hilton Guest

    From: "TD"
    One hears rumours of a September intro of new dSLR's by both Canon (perhaps
    something based on the EOS 3) and Nikon. Sometimes these rumours are right,
    sometimes they are not :) Competition is a good thing.

    Bill Hilton, Jul 15, 2003
  10. TD

    Don Forsling Guest

    Well, I would consider myself a seasoned B&H buyer--buying lots of stuff for
    lots of money over lots of years. I expect my experience is like that of
    most of their customers who have reasonable expectations. That is:

    1. I place my order (almost always via the B&H web site.
    2. By the end of the business day or the day after ordering if I order late
    in the days, I get a notice that the stuff has shipped.
    3. I, for my amusement, track the merchandise as it moves via Fedex.
    4. The merchandise arrives on time, well-packed and in working order.

    Thats the way it's worked for me for years.

    B&H prices are competitive with other honest dealers.

    Frankly, I've found that while no organization is perfect, B&H is a good as
    it gets in the business they're in. Occasionally in the newsgroups, you'll
    find an anti-B&H rant. Usually, the writer has serious mental health
    problems, doesn't understand the realities and the workings of commerce, or
    is being totally unreasonable over some minor glitch. I've found that
    glitches of any kind are rare when dealing with B&H.

    Don Forsling, Jul 15, 2003
  11. TD

    W6DKN Guest

    I totally agree, and couldn't have said it any better myself. As far as I'm
    concerned, buying from any of the "other guys" is like playing the lotto -
    with B&H it's a sure bet... every time.

    <<< Dan >>>

    W6DKN, Jul 15, 2003
  12. TD

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    there are quite a few web merchants that I buy from that have never
    disappointed me.
    Maybe it is because I know what I want before I order it, don't alwyas look for
    the absolutley lowest price, and order via credit card online. No need to get a
    salesperson to try to sell me additional "stuff".

    Here are my favorites:
    B&H
    J&R
    PCNation
    Crucial
    Dell
    TheNerds.net (although I have stopped buying from the because I have to pay the
    Florida 7% sales tax).

    So far no problems except that I had to wait 6 weeks for a backordered Fuji
    A303.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Jul 15, 2003
  13. having been a B&H customer since the '70;s when they had a little
    storefront near Union Square, I have come to rely on them without
    reservation. Lately, though, I have been using ePhotocraft for
    online...they give prompt, efficient and personal service. The owner
    will engage in email dialogue etc. Nice. I bought my DSLR from them
    and have purchased a couple of lenses since. sort of "virtually"
    duplicates my old fav camera shop back in Colorado, where I could drop
    in just to pass time yapping about cameras and film etc.

    Nancy-cassandra Kenfield, Jul 16, 2003
  14. TD

    Sean Elkins Guest

    If your lenses for FE2 aren't AF lenses, then they will be the next
    best thing to worthless. The new crop of Nikon cameras won't even meter
    with AI or AI-S lenses. You can take pictures but you have to guess at
    the exposure settings. The meter doesn't work at all.

    Sean Elkins, Jul 16, 2003
  15. TD

    Don B Guest

    I have dealt with Adorama for years and have never had a problem with
    them. I also find Adorama to be a little cheaper a good share of the
    time.

    Don

    Don B, Jul 17, 2003
  16. TD