    look for. I would love to hear what you all have to say about this.

    Thanks
    LRM

    LRM, Oct 15, 2005

  2. My approach:

    So you've done support for a couple of years?.. Tell me a few war stories...
    What do you hate most about users... What is the stupidest thing you've seen
    them do... Why on Earth are you interested in a position that pays this low
    and with such absurd hours...

    Read the book "Bastard operator from hell" (my copy is autographed! :)) for
    more inspiration.

    Once the candidate is relaxed and/or confused enough with questions like
    this, sprinkle in a few technical questions. Things like "So how do I kill a
    process that I can't kill with a task manager?". "Any idea how we can stop
    users from changing their color scheme to something that doesn't blind us?".
    "What happens when you take a Windows XP Pro machine connected to a domain
    and try to connect to it when it's not connected to the network?".

    I think you got the point. No, I am not kidding this is what I ask rather
    than dull "So tell me about yourself" stuff.

    If the person is experienced, this will keep you entertained for a couple of
    hours.

    Oh yeah, my position on certs - I can train someone experienced enough to
    get through my interview to get a MCP cert in a week and I don't need senior
    people. My position on degrees - I fail to see the relevancy of a degree in
    anything other than IT. If the candidate has one, good for them. I am
    open-minded about this stuff.

    Leonid S. Knyshov, Oct 15, 2005

  3. LRM

    FrisbeeĀ® Guest

    You are Vigo Breadcrumb's first cousin, and I claim my two-fifty.

    FrisbeeĀ®, Oct 15, 2005
  4. LRM

    LRM Guest

    Thanks, I agree with this completely. I am interested in people who took the
    time get educated in the field. I am not necessarily interested in tons of
    experience.
    I wish I could find more like the last one. Any tech who can smile at the
    end of the day is either insane or loves end-users in the way we love stupid
    dogs. Both are priceless attributes. We're keeping him.

    LRM, Oct 15, 2005
  5. I would suggest to look at the persons soft skills as well as the hard
    techie ones.

    How well do they communicate to people they support?
    Do they understand the concept of customer service?
    If you walk them through their step-by-step approach on a tech issue, how
    much deals with the end user?
    Are they looking for a job or a career?
    What responsibility do they take for improving their own skills?

    In a lot of cases it's the soft skills that make the difference between
    so-so and great tech support.

    RL \(Bob\) Coppedge, MCSE/MCDBA/MCT, Oct 15, 2005
  6. LRM

    LRM Guest

    That's what's so great about the guy I hired last!
    Thanks

    "RL (Bob) Coppedge, MCSE/MCDBA/MCT" <RLCoppedge around hotmail not-dash-but

    LRM, Oct 15, 2005
  7. Degree = pointless. Here's what matters: Can the person build a computer,
    replace a card, call tech support, install and uninstall software, make a
    backup, and RTFM? Can the person make someone less technical feel
    comfortable with a technical problem? Can the person tell someone more
    qualified (a contractor) what to do when the need to bring someone else in
    to do a particular task exists? Is this person pretty and do they smell
    nice? That's all you need.

    Now, for this next guy...

    "Leonid S. Knyshov" wrote
    Nobody wants a job. They only want money, or something to do when they are
    bored. But they will take a job that doesn't suck in return for money -- if
    they can't find a better job.
    Public Declare Function ProcessFirst Lib "kernel32" Alias "Process32First"
    (ByVal hSnapShot As Long, uProcess As PROCESSENTRY32) As Long
    Public Declare Function ProcessNext Lib "kernel32" Alias "Process32Next"
    (ByVal hSnapShot As Long, uProcess As PROCESSENTRY32) As Long
    Public Declare Function terminateprocess Lib "kernel32" Alias
    "TerminateProcess" (ByVal hProcess As Long, ByVal uExitCode As Long) As Long

    Use the first two to find and enumerate the processes, then the third to
    kill the process. If that doesn't work, there's a reset switch. If all else
    fails, pee on the computer.
    The office ninny will fight to the death over her color settings. Even
    though you can lock out change of this sort of thing through policies, it's
    a waste of company resources, and there will be a stupid argument that no
    one can win, and the computer guy will look like a color Nazi. Besides...
    It takes four clicks to reset the color settings on a computer, and under
    recent versions of windows, more than one user can use a computer, each with
    different color settings.

    Spend your money on a bar code system for inventory management and better
    shipping software and don't try to be a color Nazi.
    You can't connect to a computer that isn't connected to the network.What
    happens is that you feel stupid.
    I've decided to tell other people that I am Neil, and thanks to the
    "Something about Neil" thread, I know something about Neil, and can pretend
    to be him.
    I'll bring a couple of Star Wars DVDs to my next interview. That's more
    entertaining than talking about how Sally Jean thought her CD-ROM drive was
    a cupholder.
    Ah. The true value of a Microsoft certification: "I spent a week on it."

    MCSB MCNGP #46 mcngp.com "I spent a week on it"

    Jennifer Aniston without a shirt, Oct 16, 2005
  8. LRM

    LRM Guest

    As I said, I would love to hear what you all have to say about it, and I'm
    not wrong so far.
    Bring it on kids

    LRM, Oct 16, 2005
  9. LRM

    lowdes Guest

    I would make sure they are not a member of MCNGP.

    lowdes, Oct 17, 2005
  10. You're like a one trick pony with this, aren't ya? That's good, I'd stick
    with it. You're definately going places. To hell, of course, but at least
    you're going somewhere.

    Do you stay up at night scheming on how to get even with us? Are we to you
    like George Bush is to Katrina survivors? Do you have a collection of
    newsgroup 'clippings' on your wall with red Xs over our names? If you intend
    to kill us, can you please do so quickly, because at least that would be
    something...

    The big question here really is, what did the MCNGP ever do to YOU
    specifically, aside from existing, and defending itself against YOU? Is this
    a nature thing, where everything has to have a balance, and you're supposed
    to counteract US? If that's the case, the earth is soon to spin off it's
    axis and go flying into the sun, because the rice side is crispier than the
    wheat side of the force, and you are not a jedi yet, nor part of this
    nutricious breakfast.

    Microcephalic S. Bob, Oct 17, 2005
  11. LRM

    Neil Guest

    you have something aginst the KILL utility from the resource kit?

    Neil, Oct 17, 2005
  12. LRM

    Consultant Guest

    personally, i'd be hiring a chick

    Consultant, Oct 17, 2005
  13. LRM

    Neil Guest

    for what?

    and why just one? 'cause if I had a million bucks you know what I'd do?

    Neil, Oct 17, 2005
  14. LRM

    Consultant Guest

    two chicks at the same time

    Consultant, Oct 17, 2005
  15. LRM

    Neil Guest

    Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I had a
    million dollars I could hook that up, cause chicks dig a dude with money.

    Neil, Oct 17, 2005
  16. I don't have the resource kit, because my resources are limited, but, as you
    can see, I'm very resourceful. Besides, whether people around here believe
    Visual Basic is programming or not, I'm a programmer. Where possible, I'd
    prefer to use a tool of my own making than someone elses.

    Besides, I'm pretty sure this 'KILL utility' uses similar APIs, if not the
    same ones.

    Tell me, is this a command line utility? Do you have to know the process ID
    or can you kill a process by name?

    Microcephalic S. Bob, Oct 17, 2005
  17. LRM

    Neil Guest

    Yes and Yes you have to know the PID (which shows nicely in Task mangler)

    Neil, Oct 17, 2005
  18. Ok. I will work out a better solution.

    Microcephalic S. Bob, Oct 17, 2005
  19. LRM

    Neil Guest

    why when MS is working on this:

    http://tinyurl.com/b3ycr

    from the getting started help file:

    'This example calls the kill method that is available as part of the
    process object.
    MSH> $a = Get-Process | where { $_.ProcessName -eq "notepad" }
    MSH> $a.Kill()'

    once Monad is released (sure we have a little while) the tools will be
    right there.

    Neil, Oct 17, 2005
  20. Because I want to kill processes by talking to a gerbil.

    Microcephalic S. Bob, Oct 17, 2005