Need a new ADSL router that'll do both static and dynamic IP

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Steve Freides, Sep 20, 2004.

  1. We are currently using a business-class ADSL for the home-office that's
    in our basement. Sprint is our provider, the local loop is from Covad.
    We've got a Class D block of addresses - 8, which means you get to
    actually use 5 or 6. To date, the modem/router has a DHCP server and
    gives out 'real' addresses from our list, but we want to install more
    computers and have it give out "private", e.g., 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x,
    addresses to any workstations that request them, while keeping a few
    workstations with static, public IP's.

    A Cisco 678 has been mentioned as possible replacement for our current
    modem/router but it seems to be discontinued.

    Any recommendations for a replacement ADSL modem/router and also a place
    from which to buy it? Getting good support while setting the thing up
    is a high priority - I've done this at client sites once or twice before
    but my particular DSL service doesn't support this configuration so I'm
    on my own here.

    Thanks in advance.

    -S-

    Steve Freides, Sep 20, 2004

  2. My consumer level Linksys can do static and dynamic both (just limit the
    DHCP range, and then assign IPs from the 192 block to your static machines.
    It is by no means a fancy model.

    You can then do port-forwarding to do some (basic) routing to the services
    on the static machines.

    If you are smart about it, no upgrade is probably not required. (Hint: read
    the manual)

    Sparky Polastri, Sep 20, 2004

  3. What you're describing is backwards of what I need to do, although I'm
    not disputing your point that your Linksys might be able to do what I
    need. The idea is to use 192.168.x.x for dymanic IP assigned by the
    router's DHCP server, and statically map the other addresses to go
    straight through the router unaltered.

    Steve Freides, Sep 20, 2004
  4. Steve Freides

    ImhoTech Guest

    Provide details on the router you do have and your purpose for maintaining
    public ip addresses on 'some' of the computers and a solution will be
    forthcoming.

    ImhoTech, Sep 20, 2004
  5. Steve Freides

    Hamman Guest

    Any cheap conexant device will do the job.

    I have an IP block too, so i got the cheapest connexant router that was
    avalible (a dabsvalue 4 port) Its currently been online for about a month
    (when i had a brown out) and has a 24/7 webserver behind it.

    There is no need ot get an expensive device

    hamman

    Hamman, Sep 20, 2004
  6. New plan - keep both routers, plug the new one, already configured to do
    DHCP, into the old one, plug public machines into old router and private
    address machines into the new one. So far, so good.

    Disclosing why I need some public addresses is, IMHO, a needless
    compromise of my own security, so I'll pass on doing that.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

    Steve Freides, Sep 20, 2004
  7. Hmm. I don't think so, unless you are assigning the 192 block to the WAN
    side of the router we are talking about the same thing. The only difference
    is I am using all translated addresses and you are using a couple public
    ones in addition to translated addreses. The functionality is all the same.

    For example, I have:

    192.168.1.100 - 200 DHCP block. Random computers on my network use IPs
    allocated from this block.

    192.168.1.50 Port Forwarded to a web server on a non-standard port to avoid
    my nosy ISP when I feel like setting it up so my home computer can allow
    access to my MP3s while I am at work and want to listen to them.

    Or... one computer on the DMZ where all ports are forwarded to yet another
    machine when I want to host games online.

    So it's pretty close to what you want. If you want to buy something new, go
    ahead, but your message sounded like some consultant had a hold of you and
    was having good success sucking money out telling you you need a big fancy
    router and a complicated setup.

    You could probably do what you want with an extra NIC and an old P2 box
    running Smoothwall for basically free (after a couple hours setup). Choose
    whatever works for you, you posted, so I figured you wanted advice on it.

    Sparky Polastri, Sep 20, 2004