Need a good photo editor organizer. A lil' help, please?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Growler, Jun 6, 2005.

  1. Growler

    Growler Guest

    I am in the market for a photo editor. I am not a professional, but
    would like nice photo editing features. I am also keenly interested in
    any photo organization functions.

    I have hunderds of old slides and photos to scan in. I noticed that I
    could add information about each photo in Windows File Explorer. I
    love that function. I did some photo editing in Adobe Photoshop CS and
    saw that it deleted all the information I entered and would not allow
    me to re-enter it.

    I like the ability to see this photo information in Windows File
    Explorer so that I don't have to open a special photo editor in orer to
    see it.

    One question- Regardless of which way I go, what are the chances that
    with advances in Windows operating systems or other software this
    method of attaching information will become obsolete and lost? Isn't
    there some standard we can count on for the future?

    Growler, Jun 6, 2005

  2. Growler

    Shawn Hearn Guest

    Honestly, look to Apple. Right now, with iPhoto 5 under Mac OS X, you
    can have a powerful photo editing and organizing tool. The Windows users
    will deny this, but if you want to see what's going to happen with
    Windows in the next few years, check out an Apple Mac with Tiger right
    now. You can buy a Mac mini for well under $1000 right now that will
    have everything on it the digital photography hobbyest needs, right out
    of the box, but without concerns about spyware, adware, and viruses.
    Check out http://www.apple.com for details.

    Shawn Hearn, Jun 7, 2005

  3. Growler

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    Try the Gimp. It is powerful and free.

    Neil Ellwood, Jun 7, 2005
  4. Growler

    Graham Guest

    For windows users, try Googles Picasa2. It has some basic editing
    tools, but I find it's the best software for organising and sharing
    your photos. And it's free.

    Graham, Jun 7, 2005
  5. Growler

    Growler Guest

    Thanks for info. Can you tell me your thoughts on adding metadata
    information attached to each photo? I like the concept, but want to
    make sure that it is not lost with subsequent revisions of software for
    both OS's or photo editors/organizers.

    Growler, Jun 7, 2005
  6. Growler

    Tee Guest

    Tee, Jun 7, 2005
  7. Growler

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Photoshop Elements 3.0.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 7, 2005
  8. Growler

    Marvin Guest

    Unless it has been added, Picassa 2 does not organize photos on a CD. Google recently
    released Spindle Search to extend their Desktop Search capability to CDs.

    Paint Shop Photo Album
    (http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satell.../Display&pfid=1047024307383&pid=1047023910213)
    has some editing capability and organizes photos, and its main function is making slide
    shows. You can try it free, and it is often on sale at considerbale savings.

    Marvin, Jun 7, 2005
  9. Growler

    Growler Guest

    Gosh, thanks for all the replies! I am horrible for asking for
    something that does not exist.

    After looking at it I think i like the Photoshop CS I have for editing
    and I downloaded the Picassa 2 shown above and think it will be great
    for organizing the photos. It looks like a mixture of proper file
    folder formatting along with adding the metadata about each photo will
    give me what I need.

    Just hoped I could get all that with one program.

    I guess I am still out of luck in adding this metadata in Picassa 2 and
    being able to see it in Windows Explorer. That does not do that. I am
    scred to death of adding all this info to the 1000's of slides only to
    have it lost at some later date. I will have to be real careful or
    store it in a separate file.

    Growler, Jun 7, 2005
  10. Growler

    measekite Guest

    At the same time you might as well use Linux. A nice learning curve.

    measekite, Jun 11, 2005
  11. Its hard to beat Photoshop CS2 and Bridge from Adobe...easy to beat the
    price though.

    Gene Palmiter, Jun 11, 2005