    and there is no "Re:" in the subject line for the first post. It is,
    to me, and my news reader, a new thread, new title, etc.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, May 21, 2004

  2. Oh...Google groups sees it the same way also.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, May 21, 2004

  3. Nick

    jeff Guest

    I think 'J. Q. Etuo, MSCE 2003, A+ 2003' is confused as to what a
    thread is.

    Either that, or he foresees future events and this will turn up some
    pretty funny posts.

    jeff, May 21, 2004
  4. From a standpoint of human communication, Google and Free Agent are
    right. I don't understand the logic that is behind changing the
    subject line rather than putting the new subject line in the body of
    the message, especially when there was absolutely no original content
    included either. If he was, in fact, replying to a particular message,
    why is none of it included? I am trying an experiment with this post,
    by altering but not completely changing the subject line.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, May 21, 2004
  5. This even started a new thread for me, but it at least left me with
    the original subject. I don't know if the settings in Free Agent can
    be altered for this; possibly they can in Agent. I haven't changed any
    settings in this reader in years, and I've been using it for close to
    10 years, I think. I haven't even looked for a newer version lately.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, May 21, 2004
  6. Look, I know it was deleted by him, or his news reader. I wonder why,
    in the sense that some quoting is desirable for reference purposes.

    I wonder now what percentage of the people who frequent this group saw
    this as a new thread, and I wonder if the poster who changed the
    subject line saw the thread in so-called proper fashion also.
    Is there actually some standard that says this is "proper", or is it a
    choice thing? Time to check out some of the features of Free Agent.
    :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, May 21, 2004
  7. It does...it was simply default settings based on human as opposed to
    NNTP tendencies. :)

    I'll try this out for awhile to see what I think, but with the change
    in subject and no quoting, it's the same deal it already was, without
    going backwards in the thread to find out where it came from.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, May 21, 2004
  8. Options-General Preferences-Message List

    "Enable threading by subject", and "Start a new thread when a
    follow-up subject changes" were checked, by default.

    I unchecked them, and it's time for another test. Whatever the result,
    I still think it's illogical, from a human communication standpoint,
    to change the subject line, at least in this particular case. I am
    reminded of a comedy skit I saw years ago, where 2 people are having a
    conversation, and neither is talking/replying to the other, topics are
    different on both sides, and change at random.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, May 21, 2004