    Seems a good thing with the ease of sata drives and the low cost of
    many of them, too have a second drive ready to use parts or save the
    day by just changing the boot order.

    joevan, Mar 8, 2010

  2. joevan

    chuckcar Guest

    This hal.dll comes with windows? use sfc or the dos extract command to
    get a clean copy from the cab files.

    chuckcar, Mar 8, 2010

  3. Without hal.dll (Aka Hardware Abstract Layer.dll), the computer will
    never boot. No boot = no way to run sfc. This will also affect all safe
    modes...including 'safe mode/command prompt'. Only two options are to do
    what joevan did or reload.

    n0i

    thund3rstruck, Mar 9, 2010
  4. joevan

    joevan Guest

    So thats what. No safe mode, I thought I was going daffy when I could
    not find safe mode. I woke up this morning at 4 am, 3 hours before my
    normal time with the idea in my head. Glad it worked. I will remember
    my trick for other problems that might come up.

    joevan, Mar 9, 2010
  5. Yeah. Without that file loading, you're pretty much screwed... Glad
    you found a good workaround.

    n0i

    thund3rstruck, Mar 9, 2010
  6. http://preview.tinyurl.com/yz3u4ya (Shorter version of your link)

    "Win7 64bit boot , hal.dll missing or corrupt"

    The OP said XP, which will not boot without hal.dll. (He, himself
    stated in a followup that he could NOT get into any type of safe mode.)
    In XP, sfc.exe is a win32 file...which means it needs to run under the
    gui interface.

    Win7 has several changes to make things easier when the OS has issues.

    n0i

    thund3rstruck, Mar 9, 2010
  7. joevan

    joevan Guest

    I am sure that is correct. Not limited to SATA. I wonder if it could
    be done using a usb drive. What files were involved with the server
    repair?
    If so nice to know, and it could come in handy for a number of
    things. I have a few external connectors for sata drives lying around.
    I also have one for IDE hds.

    joevan, Mar 9, 2010
  8. I remember fixing an old NT Server a while ago with a parallel
    install. Forgot about that until this thread...lol

    And yeah. Those external ide or sata to USB cases are great. I keep
    one of each with me, because you never know when you'll end up with a
    blown MB/good harddisk with trapped, "ZOMG! WE NEED IT NOW!" data. :)

    n0i

    thund3rstruck, Mar 9, 2010
  9. joevan

    chuckcar Guest

    Perhaps if there's a computer with no CD drive or IDE hard drive
    controller. But that's not the case here. Only one of those is true.
    It's also possible to store the file in a ramdrive and then copy use it
    there for loading. This would use only the CD drive requirement. I'm not
    going to say exactly *how* you would do it, but it the "parts" - such as
    a protected mode ramdisk driver are out there.

    chuckcar, Mar 10, 2010
  10. joevan

    joevan Guest

    You can say the least with the most words of most people in the world
    I'll bet.

    joevan, Mar 10, 2010