    Wichita St
    Boston College
    Georgetown

    justinplace, Mar 21, 2006

  2. Wichita State? Where'd they come from? (I know, Kansas; yuk, yuk.)

    Go Shockers!

    BTW, I can't help but wonder if they changed their teams' name to the
    "Shockers" when Glen Campbell's "Wichita Lineman" song was a hit back in
    the what -- early 1970s.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 21, 2006

  3. justinplace

    justinplace Guest

    The following is from their website.

    Sports were of interest to students from the beginning. On the second
    day of school, some of the men met under a tree to discuss forming a
    football team. In addition to football, basketball, baseball, and
    track were added to the men's roster and basketball to the women's.

    In 1905, the Fairmount "Wheatshockers" won the first-ever football
    game played at night under Coleman lanterns west of the Missouri
    River.football team. In addition to football, basketball, baseball,
    and track were added to the men's roster and basketball to the
    women's.

    In 1965 the Shocker (Wheatshocker shortened) Basketball team went to
    the Final Four.

    No Glen Campbell mentioned any where in their history.

    Blinky, you might like this link, then click on "Intro In Audio" at
    the bottom of the page.

    http://www.bobbydarin.net/macklyrics.html

    justinplace, Mar 22, 2006
  4. Shocks of *wheat*! The plains states. I get it. Thanks!

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 22, 2006