    Or, is there some other, better way to accomplish my objectives?

    Thanks, and Happy New Year to all!

    - John R. Baker

    John R. Baker, Jan 1, 2004

  2. Norton might be of help here.
    I would try to download the new updates then burn a new CD
    or try to use a USB memory stick or Zip drive.

    Adelphia groups, Jan 1, 2004

  3. John R. Baker

    °Mike° Guest

  4. Mike,

    I though about online scanners, but there are two downsides to going that
    route:

    1. The problem computer frequently has a slow dial-up modem connection
    2. Sometimes the virus or worm interferes with internet connectivity

    Thanks for the links, though.

    - John R. Baker

    John R. Baker, Jan 1, 2004
  5. John R. Baker

    °Mike° Guest

    Then doesn't NAV give an option to make reference disks?
    If not, try an alternative that does, and keep them up to date.

    KAV (Kaspersky)
    http://www.kaspersky.com/

    eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Jan 1, 2004
  6. Mike,

    Yes, that's exactly what I want to do, only I don't know how, or even if
    it's possible. I searched Symantec's online help but it didn't shed any
    light.

    - John R. Baker

    John R. Baker, Jan 1, 2004
  7. John R. Baker

    why? Guest

    Downloading then should not be a problem.
    http://www.symantec.com/
    Downloads

    click - Virus definition Updates, is -
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download.html

    click - Download Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater Only) , is -
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/defs.download.html

    OS/Language , click the Download Updates button, you get this
    20031231-017-i32.exe December 31, 2003 December 31, 2003 4.24 MB
    and individual floppy size versions.

    That's the tricky bit, how to tell the CD read only scanner to use the
    new files.

    Wild guess, copy the CD file / folders to hardisk, Remove the read only
    flag, unpack (if it allows) the AV update and replace every
    corresponding file, burn a new CD.
    If it's a new virus / trojan perhaps one of the standalone checkers,
    although the are limited to a list of the 30 or so most recent.

    Symantec appear not to have a single removal tool but 60 of them.
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/tools.list.html

    Mcafee has this, at just over 700k
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Jan 1, 2004
  8. John R. Baker

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Jan 1, 2004
  9. Dear Me,

    I'm going to try MacAfee's Stinger stand-alone tool. Thanks for the link!

    In the past, I've found Symantec's removal tools to be a mixed blessing.
    They seem to work well for me, but only after several hit-and-miss trials to
    get the right removal tool. I sure wish they had just one (or a manageable
    number) tool that was a cure-all.

    - John R. Baker

    John R. Baker, Jan 1, 2004
  10. John R. Baker, Jan 1, 2004
  11. John R. Baker

    °Mike° Guest

    Just be aware that you should *not* rely on McAfee's Stinger
    tool alone. First of all, because it's designed for *specific*
    viruses, and secondly because McAfee is a pile of crap in
    the first place.

    °Mike°, Jan 1, 2004
  12. Mike,

    Gotcha. I just have to first break the log jam on that computer that
    prevents its own NAV 2003 from even running. After I get past that point, I
    can update its own NAV and run a scan in place.

    Looks like I might have a long night ahead of me...

    - John R. Baker

    John R. Baker, Jan 1, 2004
  13. John R. Baker

    why? Guest

    Just remember, it's a very limited list of trojans etc., handy to check
    for a few of the most common things. It's not a replacement for a full
    AV/Trojan package.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Jan 1, 2004