    etc etc.

    not upgrade, but just a normal install. got the software at costco. no probs
    so far, :)

    Joe, Oct 22, 2004

  2. ChrisCoaster

    WebWalker Guest

    If you don't use the NAV Liveupdate then why you need a NAV in your
    system.
    Liveupdate enable you to have the latest virus list.

    Sometimes the Liveupdate will also update your NAV virus scanning engine
    and etc ... which might help you to solve your slowing down problem.

    WebWalker, Oct 22, 2004

  3. ChrisCoaster

    Thor Guest

    updates can be done manually.

    Thor, Oct 22, 2004
  4. ChrisCoaster

    Thor Guest

    I installed NIS 2005 with no problems and it does not seem to slow me down
    Gee, I wonder why? Could it be because you are running an extremely high
    performance computer? Sarcasm aside, it is still consuming far more of the
    system resources of that super fast machine than other far more efficient
    and less bloated antivirus programs like Etrust, EZ Antivirus, Avast, AVG,
    etc. All it means if that you now have less reserve speed and performance
    capacity for other tasks. A PC is not a bottomless well. Eventually, if you
    have enough things running in the background, it is going to slow down
    noticeably. Running Norton 2005 merely brings you much closer to that
    eventuality in your case.

    Thor, Oct 22, 2004
  5. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    Oh NO..Fred?! READ my handle and maybe you'll get it.

    -(C) hris (C) oaster!

    "Is it all the preservatives in the food here or has all of America
    drawn a collective BRAIN FART???"

    ChrisCoaster, Oct 22, 2004
  6. ChrisCoaster

    Joe Guest

    Well, NIS has something that I myself like and need, the others do not. I've
    tried AVG and like it a lot and would choose it over paying for a virus app.
    I didn't buiy NIS 2005 though, my uncle did and it works fine for our new
    ABS pc along with I notice no slowdown at all from when it was not
    installed.

    Joe, Oct 22, 2004
  7. ChrisCoaster

    Fred Guest

    Do you feel entitled to anything you want from others, including the
    repayment of old, small debts with sexual favours?
    I hate indecisive people.
    You are too fat because you eat too much.
    Would you ever take a condom on a blind date?
    Do you still spend a great deal of time attempting to acquire alcohol?

    Fred, Oct 22, 2004
  8. ChrisCoaster

    Fred Guest

    ChrisCoaster expelled:
    Mmm mmm good!
    Your best friend steals an expensive laptop computer from your office. Do
    you turn them in?
    Do you still sleep with a stuffed animal or security blanket?

    Fred, Oct 22, 2004
  9. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    ___________________
    I would suggest - both to myself and to others who have the specs I do
    - disable NAV '04 or later, and fire it up once a week to check for
    anything that's not supposed to be in there. But don't leave it on
    full time.

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Oct 23, 2004
  10. ChrisCoaster

    WebWalker Guest

    Manual update can only allow you to get the latest virus list but no
    update to NAV program/engine.

    WebWalker, Oct 23, 2004
  11. ChrisCoaster

    Thor Guest

    Allow me to clarify. One does not need to have the automatic update feature
    of liveupdate enabled to get all the updates, including the program updates.
    Live update DOES need to be installed however. Then you can invoke
    Liveupdate *manually*, from the program menu, to check for, then download
    and apply all needed updates ina manually invoked update session. It's just
    that the *automatic* live update feature is disabled. He said he disabled
    live update. He didn't say he uninstalled it (and it is individually
    uninstallable). Perhaps that is what he meant, perhaps not. But that is how
    I took his meaning.

    Thor, Oct 23, 2004
  12. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    ________________
    UPDATE:

    Thanks Thor for the tips. In the mean time, I have uninstalled 2005
    because I'm tired of the constant freeze-ups during startup &
    shutdown, and having to manually turn the machine off by holding the
    power button. I hope this thing hasn't done any permanent damage to
    my ME files!

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Oct 24, 2004
  13. ChrisCoaster

    Stuart Guest

    If it is only the AV you want then try another one, there are a few free
    ones around.

    Stuart

    P.S. Free does not mean crap

    Stuart, Oct 25, 2004