Native vs Hybrid modes

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Adam Landas, Feb 17, 2005.

  1. Hello, Walter!
    You wrote on 23 Feb 2005 19:15:12 GMT:

    ??>> :) Nobody prevents you from configuring VLANs in global config.

    WR> :vlan 4
    WR> : name Clients
    WR> :!

    WR> Notice the lack of information about which ports are in vlan4.
    WR> On the 3750, you can't configure that in global config: you have to
    WR> go into the vlan database editor.

    Walter, you need to decide which part you are not happy about - binary nature of
    VLAN database or lack of VLAN membership information in global mode. I don't
    have a problem to type show vlan and get VLAN membership this way. In CatOS VLAN
    configuration and VLAN membership assigment is also decoupled.

    With best regards,
    Andrey.

    Andrey Tarasov, Feb 24, 2005

  2. :Walter, you need to decide which part you are not happy about - binary nature of
    :VLAN database or lack of VLAN membership information in global mode.

    Both.

    :In CatOS VLAN
    :configuration and VLAN membership assigment is also decoupled.

    In CatOS, I can save the configuration to tftp as a text file
    and then I can flip to the IOS side and save the configuration
    there as a text file; I can then edit and mark up and RCS both
    text files at need.

    In the 3750, I can save off the VLAN database alright, but I
    don't have any tools to examine it nor to convert back and forth
    between text and binary, and I can't mark up the binary or RCS it
    [I'd have to switch to CVS for that.]

    I -typically- revise my configurations by editting the text
    and then, when I have something self-consistant, loading in the
    new files. Can't do that with binary databases.

    Walter Roberson, Feb 25, 2005

  3. Hello, Walter!
    You wrote on 25 Feb 2005 02:01:41 GMT:

    WR> I -typically- revise my configurations by editting the text
    WR> and then, when I have something self-consistant, loading in the
    WR> new files. Can't do that with binary databases.

    Than configure your VLAN information in global config mode.

    With best regards,
    Andrey.

    Andrey Tarasov, Feb 25, 2005