    I never have a cell phone (camera type or otherwise) with me, as there is no
    cell service here, but I nearly always have a camera with me, as there is
    usually sufficient light.

    Ken Hart, Aug 24, 2007

  2. Swiss army knives have their uses.

    I met someone who had actually been in the Swiss army. So I asked him how to
    open a can with the can opener (which had always been beyond me).

    "Well, they taught us how to kill people with the can opener, but we used
    our bayonettes to open cans."

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Aug 24, 2007

  3. Not surprising, what with only 2,000 people on Niue...

    Nicholas O. Lindan, Aug 24, 2007
  4. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    AustinMN Guest

    NG typically wades through 1,500-5,000 images to find one to publish.
    There may be lots to complain about, but lazy isn't one of them.

    Austin

    AustinMN, Aug 24, 2007
  5. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    AustinMN Guest

    Ever seen a cameraphone with a lens much larger than the head of a
    pin? Ever see a pin-sized lens that could do justice to a 3MP sensor
    (never mind 6MP)?

    Austin

    AustinMN, Aug 24, 2007
  6. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    AustinMN Guest

    I agree. It's kind of like painting on a 2x3 inch canvas. You can do
    it, and even do a good job, but you can't rival the Mona Lisa.
    Another example might be sculpting with a 4" cube of marble. You can
    create something interesting, but it won't come close to
    Michelangelo's David.

    Maybe another way to look at it is from the point of view of tools;
    creating the David statue with the tools Michelangelo had was
    remarkable. Doing the same today with diamond-bit power tools is less
    impressive; using a cameraphone is like trying to sculpt the David
    statue with a pocket knife.

    Austin

    AustinMN, Aug 24, 2007
  7. Wolfgang Weisselberg, Aug 24, 2007
  8. You might want to look at all the icons of the Orthodox church,
    or the well-adorned first letters in medieval scripts ...
    That does not mean it'll be unimportant.
    Think of
    - Venus of Willendorf, ca 25.000 BCE
    - Venus of Berekhat Ram, ca. 250.000+ BCE,
    probably the oldest item of art known
    - Venus of Tan-Tan, ca 300.000 - 500.000 BCE
    - Venus of Lespugue, ca 25.000 BCE
    - Venus of Dolní Vestonice, ca 25.000-29.000 BCE, one of
    the earliest ceramic items
    - Venus of Brassempouy 22.000-26.000 BCE, 1.5 inch, (only
    a head) very detailed face
    I ... doubt that. I don't think the challenge for Michelangelo
    was the tools, it was the artistic vision, for a better word.
    And that's one thing you cannot replace with better tools.
    I doubt that's a real problem if you use clay.

    But go ahead, take all the powertools, dynamite, angle grinders,
    jackhammers etc. you want --- and create a David, or an Eve,
    that's not a copy, but a very own work of art.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Aug 24, 2007
  9. Well, I suggest that you are the exception, rather than the rule.....In my
    experience, almost everybody has, and carries, a cell phone all the time.
    Not only that, but when I had to change mine recently (some political
    reason, like my carrier had been bought out by AT&T.) the new phone I got
    had a camera built into it, which I didn't even discover until I got it home
    and read the manual.

    William Graham, Aug 24, 2007
  10. Yes. And what I am suggesting is that they wade through all those pictures
    BEFORE they hire the photographer, rather than afterward.......Makes perfect
    sense to me.......

    William Graham, Aug 24, 2007
  11. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Pudentame Guest

    Never knew anyone in the Swiss Army, but a friend of mine joined the
    French Foreign Legion ... sometimes it's not such a good idea to see
    just how much French wine you can drink at one sitting.

    FWIW, the Swiss Army Knife can opener works pretty much the same way as
    the P-38 can openers that used to come in C-rations.

    I can take the top off a can with that almost as fast as I can with an
    electric can opener ... faster probably, since I don't have to get the
    P-38 out of the cabinet and plug it in.

    http://www.georgia-outfitters.com/page52.shtml

    Although, nowadays, I mostly use the can opener on my Gerber tool.

    Pudentame, Aug 24, 2007