    more magnificent camera, just because it was there with you when it
    happened, while the large super camera wasn't. Relying on a one and
    only camera is no professionalism, either.

    Toni Nikkanen, Aug 14, 2007

  2. Richard Polhill, Aug 14, 2007

  3. When I am exactly at the right spot to photograph, say, a nice sunset, I do
    have a camera with me.

    Every now and then something unexpected happens when I happen to have a
    camera with me. I'm not aware of any photo that I took in a situation like
    that, that I want to print when the novelty has worn off.

    It's different for news photos. But that's not the kind of photos I want to
    take.

    Philip Homburg, Aug 14, 2007
  4. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Noons Guest

    there are those even who use a Lomo!

    Noons, Aug 14, 2007
  5. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Noons Guest

    I think the experts are dead wrong in that 90% prediction.
    I know that camera phones are about to be banned from
    all schools in Australia, so I know for sure it won't
    be 90%. At least not here. And there are quite a few
    other places where they started to get banned as well.

    Noons, Aug 14, 2007
  6. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Suds Guest

    Suds, Aug 14, 2007
  7. Yes. My Sony Ericsson K800i does, as did my old Motorola E1000.
    I don't know but I seriously doubt it.

    Richard Polhill, Aug 14, 2007
  8. Let's not forget one very important point they conveniently forget to
    mention in this book. All of these pics in this book are so
    over-Photoshopped to remove noise, aberrations, and all other garbage just
    to obtain a semi-usable image. The time and skill level required using PS
    exceeds most camera phone users.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Aug 14, 2007
  9. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Guest Guest

    Fortunately my phone uses a micro-SD card. I can also do all my transfers
    and ringtones via Bluetooth using a program called BitPIM. You ought to
    check into it since it is a really nice program that does so much. If you
    are into ringtones you can make your own from your favorite MP3s or CDs
    using BitPIM. And it is free.

    <http://www.bitpim.org/>

    Rita

    Guest, Aug 14, 2007
  10. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Celcius Guest

    Celcius, Aug 14, 2007
  11. I guess you'd say the same thing about that guy who managed to capture lions
    attacking an immature water-buffalo, then fighting with a crocodile over it,
    only to have the water-buffalo herd come back and take their offspring back from
    the jaws of the lions. A very recently famous video clip done by a "nobody" on
    an average video camera. Yet it has been broadcast on all the TV networks
    worldwide. It's one of the most popular videos on the net too. Any wildlife
    photographer of any media format would have given their right arm to be able to
    capture that. Content will always take precedence over quality. Carry your
    decent camera, let's hope you are lucky enough to ever photograph anything that
    others ever want to see. While others that use any means handy will have a much
    better chance than you who only carries a good camera on occasion.

    ReplyingToStupid, Aug 14, 2007
  12. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Celcius Guest

    Ron,
    You're a breath of fresh air. It's nice to see some objective thinking and
    down to earth sanity.
    You're absolutely right. Art is not a question of equipment. My wife is into
    Icon painting and uses "old materials" such as gesso (calcium carbonate and
    rabbit skin glue), rabbit skin glue and tempera (pigments and egg yokes) to
    paint her work. Still, it's absolutely beautiful. (
    http://celestart.com/images/publiques/pentocrator.jpg )
    Take care, Marcel

    Celcius, Aug 14, 2007
  13. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Pudentame Guest

    Quite right.

    Neither DSLR nor the camera phone does anything by itself. A hammer
    doesn't build a house, a carpenter USES a hammer to build a house.

    He (or she) could use a 4 pound sledge, a 20 oz framing hammer or a 12
    oz trim hammer. All of them can be used to pound a nail down.

    The point of the book seems to be to be "How to get the most satisfying
    results from the capabilities the *hammer* you have".

    And in the hands of a master like Clark, the results can be pretty damn
    satisfying. Why criticize something that helps to pass that mastery along?

    Pudentame, Aug 14, 2007
  14. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Most of us don't lug 20 lbs. of camera gear around ALL the time.
    A cell phone goes with me when I leave the house, and while the camera
    in mine isn't great (VGA), it is vastly better than no camera at all.

    But it may be fine for others. Believe it or not, your wants/needs
    aren't universal, nor do they constitute a 'standard' the rest of us
    have to follow.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 14, 2007
  15. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    C J Campbell Guest

    I've never had a problem offloading pictures off a phone. My old $30
    Samsung phone had both Bluetooth and a camera and it offloaded pictures
    for free just fine.

    The iPhone seems to have the most user-unfriendly camera I have seen
    and even it is a snap. Of course, it is not the cheap camera phone that
    most kids would have... And I have yet to see a real artist using an
    iPhone, but I suspect that Roger Clark might manage to do something
    with it.

    C J Campbell, Aug 14, 2007
  16. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Allen Guest

    Tell your wife that others also say she is doing good work.
    Allen

    Allen, Aug 14, 2007
  17. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    C J Campbell Guest

    I think you can "Shoot Like a Pro" with any camera: that is you can
    visualize your image, use basic rules of composition, color and
    texture, pay attention to your background, etc. I would expect such a
    book to cover these elements, as well as covering items such as work
    flow, data storage, how to hold a camera phone steady, and how to
    approach common subjects such as the family dog, sunsets, and travel
    photography. This one says it also talks about making movies, a
    capability I have seen in $30 camera phones. I would bet that at least
    80% of the book is applicable to making good photographs no matter what
    kind of camera you have.

    C J Campbell, Aug 14, 2007
  18. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Pudentame Guest

    And it don't look to me like he was "limited" at all by that "toy camera".

    Pudentame, Aug 14, 2007
  19. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Pudentame Guest

    Probably not yet.