    Rich Guest

    I saw it, I didn't read it. I would like to get a picture of a crowd
    of those phone users doing their Hitler salute immitation.

    Rich, Aug 13, 2007

  2. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Rich Guest

    Why do we want to view pictures taken by ANYBODY who is TOO LAZY to
    carry a decent camera?

    Rich, Aug 13, 2007

  3. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    C J Campbell Guest

    Rita

    Can't be much of a book. It is only $8.76 on Amazon. I personally think a
    book on cell phone photography is a good idea. There are a lot of kids
    out there who are being introduced to photography this way. You are not
    going to make the hobby grow by being elitist.

    From the Book Description on Amazon's site:

    Book Description
    Marketing experts predict that by 2009, nearly 90% of all cell phones
    will contain a camera, as manufacturers race to create cheaper,
    easier-to-use models with more sophisticated cameras, more pixels,
    flash units and even multiple lenses. Already revolutionizing
    audiovisual communication, it's a trend that will only grow more
    explosively—and who better than National Geographic to create a how-to
    book aimed directly at the millions who carry a camera phone everywhere
    and want to make the most of it?

    Created by two top professionals, this generously illustrated
    nuts-and-bolts guide is the first of its kind to treat these units as
    genuine cameras instead of novelties, and the only one to include a
    full-color photo-essay demonstrating the full capabilities of the
    latest camera phones. In five easy-to-read chapters, the book explains
    how to choose good equipment; take better pictures; and store, print
    and send the best images. Readers will find practical tips on
    preventing or repairing water damage, protecting easily-scratched
    lenses inside pockets and purses, and retrieving accidentally-erased
    images. They'll also learn to access the events, advice, and
    opportunities of the burgeoning camera phone community, from film
    festivals to news organizations, moblogs, and more.

    Featuring the technical savvy of CNet.com's Aimee Baldridge and the
    creative skill of National Geographic photographer Robert Clark, a
    camera phone pioneer, this compact yet comprehensive reference combines
    up-to-the-minute expertise with superb examples, at an inexpensive
    price that makes it a perfect gift book—or an ideal impulse buy.

    About the Author
    Aimee Baldridge is a writer and photographer based in New York. She
    covers photography and imaging technology for a variety of magazines
    and online publications and was previously a senior editor covering
    digital imaging at CNET Network Reviews.

    Robert Clark, a freelance photographer based in Brooklyn, New York, has
    been a regular and award-winning contributor to National Geographic
    magazine. In 2005 he published Image America, the first photo book to
    use only images from a camera phone.

    C J Campbell, Aug 13, 2007
  4. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    C J Campbell Guest

    "Image America" was published in 2005. All the photos in that book were
    taken with a phone camera. It claims to be the first to do that. It is
    apparently, however, out of print and even used copies are hard to come
    by.

    C J Campbell, Aug 13, 2007
  5. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    DMac Guest

    Did any of you noticed anything "strange" about my photo for the day
    (Sunday) http://www.ryadia.com/POD/August/12-08-07.htm ?
    Normally I add the camera make and model along with the lens
    specifications. I didn't with this one because it was taken with a
    Samsung Mobile Phone!
    If I was to have included the camera-phone data, there's probably be a
    few hundred hits on the page by now... Hmmmm. That gives me an idea!
    I'm due for an upgraded phone. One of these new 5 megapixel jiggers
    might be the go!!!

    Doug

    DMac, Aug 13, 2007
  6. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Celcius Guest

    Why do we want to view pictures taken by ANYBODY who is TOO LAZY to
    carry a decent camera?

    Have you got one, Rich? ;-)))))

    Celcius, Aug 13, 2007
  7. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Somebody Guest

    I have no problem with them doing such a book. But, if they are and they are
    going to have the wording on the cover that they do then I think they need
    to explain... "Shoot Like a Pro" A pro what? I can't think any "pro" that
    would ever consider using a camera phone to shoot "pro"fessional photos.

    Somebody!

    Somebody, Aug 13, 2007
  8. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Celcius Guest

    Thank you C.J.
    You are open minded and provided us with something palpable.
    I never thought that camera phones were giving great results comparable to
    the best DSLR's.
    However, they must have something to contribute. Your report opens a window
    on what these are capable of.
    One shouldn't reject what one doesn't understand.
    We should all have in mind the story of the "Ugly Duckling".
    Take care,
    Marcel

    Celcius, Aug 13, 2007
  9. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Pudentame Guest

    National Geographic has done how-to guides for amateur photographers for
    years and years.

    I think one of the first photography books I bought was a second hand
    copy of the National Geographic Photographer's Field Guide. It's a
    pretty good, basic to advanced "how to take better pictures" book.

    And the inside back cover doubles as an 18% gray card.

    Of course, the one I have is exclusively film oriented.

    Pudentame, Aug 13, 2007
  10. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Pudentame Guest

    No, but then again, I've already invested in good cameras.

    The target audience for the book is the 20-something who hasn't; the kid
    who doesn't know any better than to buy a point 'n shoot digital that
    doesn't even have a viewfinder.

    Pudentame, Aug 13, 2007
  11. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Pudentame Guest

    3MP is good enough for 4x6 prints. 6MP will easily do 8x10 ... and if
    you're a good photographer working with a good printer, even larger.

    Pudentame, Aug 13, 2007
  12. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Paul Furman Guest

    Yes, nice... http://www.robertclarkphoto.com/
    click on special projects then image amarica...

    Paul Furman, Aug 13, 2007
  13. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Pudentame Guest

    Indeed. A most persuasive demonstration of what I've argued here before.
    The two most important tools in a photographer's repertoire are his eye
    and his brain.

    Without 'em, it doesn't matter how high-tech, advanced or expensive your
    equipment is; you ain't gonna' get nothing worth keepin'.

    And with them, anything is possible, even if you're limited to the most
    basic, rudimentary equipment. If you can see the picture in your head,
    you can capture it no matter what you have to use.

    Pudentame, Aug 13, 2007
  14. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Pudentame Guest

    Hmmm? Maybe.

    The only problem I have with camera phones is they encourage that "hold
    it out at arms length and snap the picture" which results in a lot of
    fuzzy images.

    Then they want me to explain why their prints look like shit.

    Pudentame, Aug 13, 2007
  15. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Pudentame Guest

    It depends. If the picture they need to tell the story they want to tell
    comes from an average slob they'll use it.

    Pudentame, Aug 13, 2007
  16. Yep! And these two "photographers" will be leading the pack for newsgroup
    whiners when they can no longer find work because of all the camera phone
    slobs are "taking their work" away from them. Anything to make a quick
    buck.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Aug 14, 2007
  17. Doug, there's some things that are simply meant to be left alone and this is
    one of them. The only way I could agree with you on this is if they make a
    camera phone that gives me the bokeh of the 85/1.4 Nikkor in combination
    with the signature bokeh and nighttime performance of the 58/1.2 Noct
    Nikkor. I don't even want built in flash, but will settle for 10-megapixels
    and 5 fps with no shutter lag. Of course, all of this in a $49 camera phone
    that works only on the Verizon network. I forgot to add that a dual Xeon
    processing engine would be nice, but wouldn't be a deal breaker if it
    weren't offered.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Aug 14, 2007
  18. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Guest Guest

    You have a point, but a $50 P&S would probably be much better for them in
    more ways. The only one whom benefits from camera phones are the service
    providers, especially if the phone you have doesn't allow easy and *FREE*
    offloading.

    Rita

    Guest, Aug 14, 2007
  19. Exactly!

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Aug 14, 2007
  20. Ever watch the Zapruder film?

    Scott en Aztlán, Aug 14, 2007