National Geographic Threw Away All Credibility When They Released This Book!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Aug 13, 2007.

  1. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Aug 13, 2007

  2. To whoever did the PS work: a tiny stroke or shadow along the upper edge
    of the slightly open page makes it better.

    Funny, tho. Thanks for posting.

    John McWilliams, Aug 13, 2007

  3. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Are we supposed to read the book or does one picture tell it all.
    Personally, I don't get your point.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Aug 13, 2007
  4. You're losing your mind! There's no PS on this as it is an actual book!
    Really!

    Funny and sad at the same time. Though Aimee is a decent photographer in
    her own right. To cheapen the art of digital photography with crappy camera
    phones is an injustice. And to write a book to profit off this stupidity is
    even more of an injustice. So, now NG is reduced to accepting camera phone
    pics from the average slob.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Aug 13, 2007
  5. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Scott W Guest

    Scott W, Aug 13, 2007
  6. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Celcius Guest

    Rita,
    Why are you so upset? The fact that a "renowned" photographer writes a book
    about camera phones? Or that camera phones shouldn't have any right in
    photography?
    Have you read the book? Personally, I can't judge before having read the
    book and seen the photos shown in that book.
    You seem to condemn the whole idea of Aimee Baldridge - camera phones -
    National Geographics...
    There are more and more photos taken with camera phones, many of these, good
    enough to be invoked in a courtroom.
    Surely, someone can evaluate and maybe write a book...
    Marcel

    Celcius, Aug 13, 2007
  7. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Rich Guest

    I saw that abomination on Sunday at a local bookstore.

    Rich, Aug 13, 2007
  8. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Doug Payne Guest

    Funny indeed; that's what some people said about digital cameras when
    they were new. How dare they ruin the film experience!

    Doug Payne, Aug 13, 2007
  9. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Can anybody recommend a camera phone with image quality good enough for
    prints?

    Alfred Molon, Aug 13, 2007
  10. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Tim Guest

    d nce ting wd B f twas ritn n txt lang, dat wd mak 4 a ryt gud read :)

    Tim, Aug 13, 2007
  11. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Celcius Guest

    Alfred Molon
    I wasn't debating this.
    I simply stated that I hadn't read the book, not seen any photos.
    Therefore, I can't judge.
    Marcel

    Celcius, Aug 13, 2007
  12. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Celcius Guest

    I saw that abomination on Sunday at a local bookstore.

    Well Rich,
    Tell us more.
    What was it about? Any photos in it?
    Marcel

    Celcius, Aug 13, 2007
  13. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Celcius Guest

    YUP!

    Celcius, Aug 13, 2007
  14. That NG puts out a book on low resolution images is ironic, and I agree
    with Rita, sad. But I'm not concerned that they'll start subbing camera
    phone images taken on Safari, etc., for the real thing.

    John McWilliams, Aug 13, 2007
  15. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Battleax Guest

    Since when has Nat Geo. had any credibility? Certainly not in the last 20
    years

    Battleax, Aug 13, 2007
  16. Ooops, look like I erred, only second time today. Rita posts so many
    things that are amusing, false, or exaggerations that I thought it was a
    photoshopped image.

    Someone's got to come up with a good parallel, maybe something like Hot
    Rod doing a piece on tricycles.

    John McWilliams, Aug 13, 2007
  17. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Yuki Guest

    My Sony Ericsson K800i (3.2Mpix) has quality enough for printing snapshots with
    a little Canon Selphy photo printer.

    But as it has real autofocus, close focus capability and a xenon flash, it's
    real value is as a tool for documenting small things like equipment stickers,
    small (or big) parts, even data on computer screens. As it's ever with me I
    don't care to copy things anymore.

    I had used for weeks the Nokia N95, 5Mpix, and it's image quality is not better
    than k800i, too much noise reduction and awful battery life.

    Yuki, Aug 13, 2007
  18. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    TRoss Guest

    Yep. Robert Clark, the co-author of the Nat Geo book Rita finds so
    offensive, is able to do a lot with a camera phone. I dunno what he
    used, but his "Image America" photos are pretty impressive.

    www.robertclarkphoto.com

    TR

    TRoss, Aug 13, 2007
  19. My first impulse on seeing the book:

    "Did they use a camera phone to take the cover photo?"

    - Solomon

    Stuffed Crust, Aug 13, 2007
  20. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

    Pat Guest

    I don't think they would accept pictures from the average slob no
    matter what format is used to take them. The simple fact is that the
    photographer is more important than the equipment. There are a few
    exceptionally good photographers out there who could use a camera
    phone and still blow away 95% of the people in the world who are using
    top of the line dSLRs. It is wasn't a skill and an art, it would be
    easy.

    Pat, Aug 13, 2007