    Where did the lenses which were installed for the Hubble telescope
    come from? Were they German or Japanese lenses?
    Just curious.

    aniramca, Aug 6, 2007

  2. aniramca

    Robert Coe Guest

    What brand is the camera of choice which are selected among most of
    : the NGS' photographers?
    : Did the NASA's Apollo mission on the moon use the Hasselblad brand?
    : Was NASA recently shipped Nikon cameras for the ISS ?
    : Does Kodak play a big role in the supplies of lenses for earth mapping
    : satellites?
    : Where did the lenses which were installed for the Hubble telescope
    : come from? Were they German or Japanese lenses?
    : Just curious.

    Sounds like a Google project to me. Why don't you research the questions there
    and let us know what you find?

    Robert Coe, Aug 6, 2007

  3. aniramca

    Noons Guest

    the ones that take photos
    and Nikon. This is promising:
    http://apollo.sese.asu.edu/
    apparently, yes.
    wouldn't have a clue, sorry.
    does Kodak still make lenses?
    Dunno. More than likely made in Japan.
    Me 2.

    Noons, Aug 6, 2007
  4. Gordon Freeman, Aug 6, 2007
  5. aniramca

    Stan Beck Guest

    NGS photographers own their own gear, and some like Nikon, others like
    Canon. Generally, Canon has a greater share of the market. However, there
    are situations that call of larger format. Depends upon the subject and the
    photographer.

    Won't even try to answer the other questions.

    --
    In the US everything is made in China except Chinese food - it's made in the
    US.

    Stan Beck > From New Orleans to Brandon MS
    To reply, remove 101 from address.
    ***

    Stan Beck, Aug 6, 2007
  6. aniramca

    JohnR66 Guest

    As far as NGS, I believe it is the photographer's choice of his own
    equipment. Some still choose to use film.

    I wonder if NGS allowed lower res cameras early on, in the 3-5mp range like
    the Canon D30 and some early Nikons.
    John

    JohnR66, Aug 6, 2007
  7. aniramca

    Fat Sam Guest

    I know that the UK military uses mostly Zeiss lenses for its aeriel
    recconnaissance and survey imagery, although they also use Vinten equipment
    too.
    Seriously large format stuff producing 9x9 inch negatives.

    Fat Sam, Aug 6, 2007
  8. aniramca

    Noons Guest

    Noons, Aug 6, 2007
  9. aniramca

    frederick Guest

    IIRC the first "all digital" article published by NG was shot using a
    Nikon D1x and D100 (5.5 and 6mp) cameras. It was an article on war
    planes, I think photographed by Joe McNally:
    http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0312/feature1/index.html
    If you search the NG website, you can easily find links like this:
    http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0601/feature5/gallery1.html
    Which may dispel some of the myth around equipment that pros use, and
    about use of digital cameras in publications.

    frederick, Aug 6, 2007
  10. the original link leads to it if you click on "Space Exploration Resources"
    then Earth's Moon and then the Apollo Hasselblad link. Those were the only
    actual Hasselblad images I could find.

    Gordon Freeman, Aug 7, 2007
  11. aniramca

    Rich Guest

    Rich, Aug 7, 2007
  12. aniramca

    Dave Cohen Guest

    That lens in the hubble won't look much like the one in your camera
    although I suppose you could design a camera to use a mirror!!
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Aug 7, 2007
  13. aniramca

    gn_user Guest

    gn_user, Aug 7, 2007
  14. aniramca

    aniramca Guest

    The reason I threw this question is because I recall that Canon used
    to advertise in the NG magazine, and the ad's content is usually about
    a NGS photographer using Canon camera and equipment. Correct me if I
    am wrong, as I just recall this by memory, and the ads were shown in
    the magazine far prior to digital camera era (1970s or 80s). I have
    not been read or taken noticed on NG magazines in teh past few years,
    and don't know if Canon still advertises their cameras there.

    aniramca, Aug 7, 2007
  15. aniramca

    Allen Guest

    Dave Cohen wrote:
    As a matter of fact, back in the 1960s (might have extended into the
    1970s), 500 mm focal length mirror lenses were being marketed by, among
    others, Spiratone. There may have been 1000 mm ones also, but I don't
    recall. In the ads they looked like black Quaker Oats boxes with a
    protuberance for mounting and also a tripod socket. I have no idea how
    many were sold, but I must admit that I lusted after one. I don't recall
    that I ever actually ordered anything from Spiratone, but I miss their
    ads, usually four pages in Pop Photo and Modern Photo, containing all
    sorts of camera accessories--extension tubes, filters, T-mounts and
    lenses, all kinds of gadgets.
    Allen

    Allen, Aug 7, 2007
  16. aniramca

    Guest Guest

    The Hubble uses mirror optics.
    Old Bob

    Guest, Aug 7, 2007
  17. aniramca

    Martin Brown Guest

    Perkin Elmer made the systematically myopic main mirror for Hubble at
    Danbury, Conn. Kodak made the unused backup mirror correctly (which
    didn't fly). The latter was later used in ground based system tests to
    help diagnose the problem with the Hubble after it was placed in
    orbit.
    You do down fine US instrument makers unjustly with that throw away
    line.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Aug 7, 2007
  18. There has for quite a few decades been a proliferation
    of mirror lenses for 35mm SLR cameras. Some have been
    relatively good (Nikon and Vivitar come to mind as both
    having sold high quality catadioptric lenses at one
    time). There have been everything from 250mm to 1400mm
    models, but f/8 500mm models are the ubiquitous.

    Today most of them are rather inexpensive (costing less
    than $130 new), and not of particularly high quality in any
    way. (They are almost all made by the same manufacturer
    in Korea.)

    Floyd L. Davidson, Aug 7, 2007
  19. aniramca

    Allen Guest

    Thanks for broadening my knowledge of the mirror-lens subject. As I
    recall, those first ones were always "wide open", so to speak, and
    shutter speed was the only way to control exposure. Did any of the later
    ones solve that problem? Also, f/8 was pretty small for action pictures
    of animals in motion, especially birds, without going to high-speed
    film. Because of the limitations of both the lenses and my bank account,
    I never really seriously investigated them.
    Allen

    Allen, Aug 7, 2007
  20. aniramca

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, Aniramca:

    Kodak <http://www.kodak.com> long been a leading supplier of NASA's
    photographic and optical technology.

    Fast Facts About Kodak Science and Technology
    <http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/researchDevelopment/facts.jhtml>

    Some selected, space-related quotes, from the above Web page:

    "For the Apollo 11 mission, Kodak built the electronic camera that sent
    still pictures back from the moon in 1969."

    "In the 1997 Mars Surface Rover mission, Kodak image sensors captured
    close-up images of Mars."

    "Kodak designed the optics for the Chandra X-ray space telescope in
    1999."

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Aug 8, 2007