NAT table entries generate Interrupts?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by anybody43, Oct 31, 2005.

  1. anybody43

    anybody43 Guest

    Hello,

    This is an enquiry prompted by threads:
    - Cisco 3620 and very low throghuput
    - CPU utilization on the router
    on comp.dcom.sys.cisco

    Cisco say:

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a00800a70f2.shtml

    Cisco 10000 Series Routers
    Troubleshooting High CPU Utilization on Cisco Routers
    Document ID: 15095

    Each active translation generates CPU
    interrupts and has an impact on
    the total CPU utilization of the router. A very
    large number of translations can have a
    performance impact on the router.

    ####### End Cisco say: ########

    This makes no sense to me. For what purpose
    might an interrupt be raised per NAT
    table entry?

    Any suggestions anyone?

    Seems either bad (well really, really bad)
    design or an incorrect statement.
    Since cisco don't do too much really bad
    design my money is on the latter.

    However the docs are not too shabby either.

    How large migh be "very large"?

    If someone can come up with a reason for
    generating such interrupts how often might
    they be generated per table entry?

    Ideas anyone?

    Thanks.

    anybody43, Oct 31, 2005