NAT Match Host and PIX Alternative

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Darren Green, Aug 5, 2008.

  1. Darren Green

    Darren Green Guest

    Hi,

    I need to NAT between 2 x networks matching the host element so that my
    host in LAN 1 is translated to the same host address in LAN 2 e.g.

    192.168.1.1 NAT's to 192.168.2.1
    192.168.1.2 NAT's to 192.168.2.2
    192.168.1.100 NAT's to 192.168.2.100..... etc

    Ordinarily I would use the NAT 'match host' command on a router but I
    assume I can do this on a PIX by doing something like

    nat (inside, outside) 192.168.2.0 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0

    I don't have a PIX to hand to confirm that the mappings on the host
    portion will be identical. Anyone know off the top of their heads.

    Regards

    Darren

    Darren Green, Aug 5, 2008

  2. In article <4898b5db$>,
    Darren Green <> wrote:

    >I need to NAT between 2 x networks matching the host element so that my
    >host in LAN 1 is translated to the same host address in LAN 2 e.g.

    >192.168.1.1 NAT's to 192.168.2.1
    >192.168.1.2 NAT's to 192.168.2.2

    >nat (inside, outside) 192.168.2.0 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0

    >I don't have a PIX to hand to confirm that the mappings on the host
    >portion will be identical. Anyone know off the top of their heads.

    Yup. But as you'll probably be VPN'ing this, be careful with your
    "match address" ACL, keeping in mind that the addresses there
    are -after- translation.

    Walter Roberson, Aug 6, 2008