    My network is peer-to-peer, combination of wired 10/100 and wireless, and
    comprises a couple of laptops, one running XP Home, the other XP Pro, one
    desktop running XP Home and one desktop running W2K Pro

    Chris, Dec 9, 2007

  2. Chris

    John Guest

    Qnap 109. Fanless, well-built and more functions than you can wave a
    stick at. Built-in Twonky makes it a very good media server and
    Slimserver can be installed if wanted - I uninstalled mine as it was
    stopping the disk spinning down. It's in a different league to the
    landisk NAS I had before.

    http://www.qnap.co.uk/

    Very pleased with mine and a fairly active forum at:

    http://forum.qnap.com/phpbb2/index.php

    although it seems to be off-line today.

    John

    John, Dec 9, 2007

  3. Chris

    tinnews Guest

    I have a Freecom 500Gb NAS (cost just under 100 pounds).

    It's OK but is rather Windows-centric, you can connect to it using FTP
    or SMB/CIFS over the network, or directly using USB.

    Using USB you can only use Windows.

    The SMB/CIFS implementation is rather old, in fact it is SMB rather
    than CIFS so if your Linux box has mount.cifs rather than smbmount
    there are some problems with getting connected (but it can be done).

    tinnews, Dec 10, 2007
  4. Chris

    tinnews Guest

    How well does it work on a Linux network? E.g. how do you connect to
    it as a network drive from a Linux system?

    tinnews, Dec 10, 2007
  5. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Thanks for that - had just found some reviews of the Freecom units and they
    looked quite promising - and relatively inexpensive.

    I'm Windows only and would be using it via the LAN interface

    Chris

    Chris, Dec 10, 2007
  6. Chris

    tinnews Guest

    It's basically OK then but not particularly fast, there's quite an
    active user forum at http://forum.freecompromo.com/. The Freecom
    units are certainly very reasonably priced and mine has been reliable
    so far.

    tinnews, Dec 10, 2007
  7. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I've seen a couple of issues referred to - one about max file size of 4GB as
    it only supports FAT32 when using the LAN interface (are there any other
    limitations associated with that?), and apparently there is no file locking
    so potentially multiple users could be updating the same file. Are these
    both correct ?
    Neither should be too much of an issue for me as I don't envisage huge file
    sizes and I need it primarily as a backup store
    You say it's not particularly fast - is that down to the limit of the LAN
    interface or the drive itself ?

    Thanks - Chris

    Chris, Dec 10, 2007
  8. Chris

    [L.] Guest

    I have a 320GB version.
    Quite ok, but rather slow and at times XP loses it completely and
    cannot be found by either ip number or mapped drive.

    Lnz

    [L.]

    [L.], Dec 10, 2007
  9. Chris

    tinnews Guest

    I don't think the FAT32 file system has any other effects.
    Yes, as I understand it, you can only use NTFS when you use the device
    as an actual USB drive connected directly to a Windows box.

    I think it's the LAN and SAMBA used.

    tinnews, Dec 10, 2007
  10. Chris

    John Guest

    It runs on an embedded Linux system using a 500mhz cpu and 128mb DDRII
    memory. Although it has a web interface you can telnet into it or use
    Putty to have command-line access. I can boot into Ubuntu but it is
    not my main os - however it seems straightforward to access the 109
    from that and I can browse files ok.

    Network settings web control for TCP/IP, Microsoft networking, Apple
    Networking, NFS, FTP, Web Server, DDNS, MySQL server etc. The 109 pro
    comes with NFS and active directory support but my non-pro came with
    these functions (I think this was a mistake - many others found the
    same around the same time so looks as if a batch got through wrongly
    boxed). There are also remote replication and incremental back-up
    functions plus a pseudo raid 1 mirroring for plugged in usb or esata
    drives.

    All the features are described for each line at qnap.co.uk

    John

    John, Dec 11, 2007