    understand. Could anybody please enlighten me?

    Many thanks,

    John

    Walney, Nov 21, 2007

  2. Walney

    ded Guest

    It depends what software and exactly how you were copying.
    The two CD's you copied, if you just selected each CD and added
    to the compilation as an audio disk, that would include the sub menu's,
    any additional folders etc etc, that would have consumed the space
    available on the target disc.

    Alternatives: WMP can rip tracks direct to HD as WAV files,
    WAV is not a cda but Microsoft's propriatary audio format.
    (WAV is 16/48, cda is 16/44) But all burning software can compile
    an audio CD with WAV files.
    (There are no discernable sonic differences between a WAV and the
    original cda track.)

    Or you could download this freeware - Audiograbber:
    http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/
    This software will rip tracks from CD's in their original cda format
    being exact digital 16/44 coipies.

    I prefer to compile a track listing to a HD folder, and then rip as
    required to CD-R.
    Either above ripping method will allow you to then add all the desired
    tracks from HD to CD-R without exceeding capacity.

    ded, Nov 21, 2007

  3. Walney

    Whiskers Guest

    Exactly what sort of files were you hoping to put on CD? "MP3" and most
    other file-types for music are compressed, and need to be un-compressed
    when turning them into CDs that can be played on a normal CD player.
    Presumably the program you used 'knew' that and made the conversion before
    trying to burn the discs.

    (Some CD players can read MP3 or other compressed audio files that have
    been saved as such to a CD, but I'm guessing that if you knew that much
    you probably wouldn't be asking the question).

    Whiskers, Nov 21, 2007
  4. Walney

    philo Guest

    The files you see from Windows explorer are not the actual music cuts.
    You will need 3rd party software to convert the audio tracks to something
    the computer can use as a file...
    such as a .wav or .mp3 etc...

    philo, Nov 21, 2007
  5. Walney

    thanatoid Guest

    oups.com:
    Many older albums are so short that two can be put on one 74 or
    80 minute CD in the original WAV format. I have done it more
    than once. Still, there is SOME overhead and you may JUST have
    crossed the line. Also, there is the 1KB = 1000 bytes or 1KB =
    1024 bytes thing.

    Trying to copy cda files which, IIRC, all show as being 44 bytes
    long will NOT work, it is a considerably more complicated
    process. I apologize if you already knew this perfectly well.

    Try www.cdrfaq.org for answers to almost everything related to
    this and related subjects.

    thanatoid, Nov 22, 2007
  6. Walney

    Plato Guest

    Imbedded copy protection. Perhaps a file on the original CD reads 600
    megs when in fact it's not. Again, a copy protection.

    Plato, Nov 22, 2007
  7. Walney

    Walney Guest

    Thanks to all for the replies. The tracks were copies of a language
    course originally supplied on cassette and being circulated amongst
    course members on CD. I'm therefore unsure of the exact format -
    though certainly not mp3. Even I would have sussed that!

    John

    Walney, Nov 22, 2007