    Is there a way (maybe on paid for services) of getting the VOIP
    server to accept UK numbers in the 'normal' format?

    What do other people do to reduce the number of digits they dial?

    usenet, Jan 19, 2006

  2. usenet

    Jono Guest

    wrote:
    || I have a Zyxel 2602HW ADSL router and have set it up to use
    || sipdiscount to see how I get on with VOIP.
    || It works OK but I need to dial a full international code to make a
    || call to UK numbers. On thinking about this it does seem reasonable
    || as the VOIP server has no idea where you're from and could itself be
    || anywhere. However dialling all those digits could rapidly become a
    || bit of a drag, so:-
    || Do all VOIP services require the full interntaional sequence to be
    || dialled?

    No - Sipgate & voip.co.uk, for example, you dial the full UK number 01XXX
    XXXXXX or 02 for the smartypantses)

    || Is there a way (maybe on paid for services) of getting the VOIP
    || server to accept UK numbers in the 'normal' format?

    Normal - do you mean 6 digit (or similar) local dialling & 11 digit national
    dialling? I'm not aware of any, although there probably are some as it's not
    difficult to implement.

    || What do other people do to reduce the number of digits they dial?

    When just using an ATA, I set the dialplan to add my area code to any 6
    digit number.

    Now using Asterisk, the dial plan adds my area code to the beginning of 6
    digit numbers for Sipgate, for Voipstunt it adds 00441274 to the front of 6
    digit numbers. For 11 digit full UK numbers, asterisk's dialplan strips the
    leading zero & adds 0044 to the front.

    Either way, you need to investigate your device's Dialplan.

    Jono, Jan 19, 2006

  3. usenet

    paul123 Guest

    Voiptalk.org's another (full UK number)

    Taking this a step further, I have 5 numbers set up on asterisk where I
    can speeddial by dialling only the last digit of the required number.
    To dial 00441223123456, Asterix "prefixes" to 0044122312345 to the 6
    that I dial. This can obviously only work for a few numbers that end in
    different digits....
    echo that

    Paul

    paul123, Jan 19, 2006
  4. usenet

    usenet Guest

    Thanks for the replies, I'm beginning to get my mind round all this.

    By 'Dialplan' do you just mean the speed-dialling capabilities and
    such like?

    usenet, Jan 19, 2006
  5. Thus spaketh :
    This is my current dial plan, have not got around to adding to it yet.

    (<0:0044>[1-8]xx.|<999:00441216874070>|<123:00442070431320>|<:0044121>[2-8]xxxxxx|<##:00>xx.)

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jan 19, 2006
  6. usenet

    Jono Guest

    wrote:
    ||| echo that
    || Thanks for the replies, I'm beginning to get my mind round all this.
    || By 'Dialplan' do you just mean the speed-dialling capabilities and
    || such like?
    || --
    || Chris Green

    No, see {{{{{Welcome}}}}}'s reply.

    Dialplan basically tells your ata to dial either the numbers as you press
    them on the phone, or add or replace numbers.

    For instance, in the quoted example, "<0:0044>[1-8]xx." this part looks for
    numbers beginning with a zero followed by 1 thru 8, followed by any number
    of digits (the . means any length), it then deletes the 1st zero, then adds
    0044, then dials the rest of the number.

    As it's looking for numbers of any length, there will be a delay whilst the
    ATA decides whether you're going to press any more keys or not.

    It would probably dial quicker if it was <0:0044>[1-2]XXXXXXXX> as this
    would be looking for any 11 digit number starting 01 or 02. A separate
    section could be set up for look for numbers beginning 08, which can vary in
    length.

    Jono, Jan 19, 2006
  7. usenet

    Martin² Guest

    Chris,
    UK providers would assume UK format number, but not sipdiscount or any other
    Finarea VoIP.

    And now for the bad news (sheepish grin).
    The Zyxel has only 10 speed dial numbers and no dial plan feature :-(
    Draytek has no dial plan either, but loads more speed dials.
    I am considering getting an Orchard dial box which has a programmable dial
    plan,
    mainly because 'her indoors' can't be bothered to dial 0044 instead of 0 !
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Jan 20, 2006
  8. usenet

    David Floyd Guest

    But not all 01 numbers are 11 digits!!
    DF

    David Floyd, Jan 20, 2006
  9. usenet

    usenet Guest

    OK, what's the DialPlan in? Is it in the firmware in your Voip
    hardware (if you have any) or is it in the Voip software in your PC?

    Remember I haven't installed *any* software in my PC, my Voip is
    wholly contained in my router.

    usenet, Jan 20, 2006
  10. Thus spaketh :

    My dial plan is in the settings section of the firmware on my hardware (ATA)

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jan 20, 2006
  11. usenet

    Jono Guest

    Oh.